• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gift and Tax position?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift and Tax position?

My will states that when I die any finance that I have will be distributed 50% to each of my two sons.
    One of my sons is in need of some cash now £10,000 for repairs to the roof of his house.
    How do I arrange, that when I die the other son gets £10,000 more than the son who has cash for his roof now.
    Plus what is the tax position if I go ahead with this,
    Tags: None

Your will provides:

1. £10k to son X

2. After that, the remainder divided equally between son X and son Y.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If the £10,000 you are giving to your son to repair his roof is intended to be a gift to him then no tax is payable. Neither the giver of a gift nor the receiver in these circumstances is liable for tax nor are they required to declare it to HMRC.

Where it does become a tax issue is Inheritance Tax [IHT] when you die, only of course if your Estate is large enough for IHT to apply.

You have asked about IHT here in earlier threads so I assume you are familiar with the general principles of it. Gifts given before death might be considered still part of your Estate, and therefore potentially subject to IHT. If you live more than 7 years from when you make the gift it is exempt from IHT. Otherwise it is subject to IHT but on a sliding scale so not necessarily the full £10,000.

In normal circumstances neither the son who received the gift nor the beneficiaries are thenselves liable to pay the IHT. Your Estate is liable for the IHT and this is paid out by your Executors before anything is distributed to beneficiaries.
      Last edited by PallasAthena; 16th December 2023, 16:33:PM.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X