• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Awaiting intestate probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awaiting intestate probate

Hi All,
    I am currently in the middle of an intestate probate as my husband died recently without a Will. I am administrator and my solicitor is dealing with the matter. I have 2 adult step sons who are not happy with intestate rules. After not hearing anything from step sons since just after the funeral 8 months ago, they have suddenly with no warning got a solicitor and sent a letter to mine asking for details of everything and for nothing to leave or be distributed until they finish their investigation and a deadline of 10 days.
    My solicitor feels they are "fishing" but it could turn into a contencious probate and I would then have to get another solicitor who could deal with it.
    My question is can the 2 step sons really change the rules of intestacy ?
    They get a fair share of the inheritance as it stands, plus extra money left to them in a trust which i am the trustee of and can release it to them, but they want it all as they are the last of their family and want their family inheritance without a "stepmum" in their way. We all used to be friends until now !
    I am not on title deeds of house. I will only get what intestate rules allow, but I will be in a position to buy our home and not have to leave, I then intend to leave the amount of money my husband paid for this property, in my Will to his sons. Their problem is that I am only 20 year older than them and they think they could die before me therefore not getting their "rightful" inheritance.
    Do you think they have grounds for changing intestate rules ???
    many thanks
    Tags: None

Were these stepsons in any way financially maintained or supported by their father as at the date of his death?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

My question above goes towards your question -
      Originally posted by 2cutekittens View Post
      My question is can the 2 step sons really change the rules of intestacy?
      The answer to that question is that the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 allows for certain persons including children of the deceased to apply to the court "on the ground that the disposition of the deceased’s estate effected by his will or the law relating to intestacy, or the combination of his will and that law, is not such as to make reasonable financial provision for the applicant". So yes, the law of intestacy can be varied or disapplied.

The Court would have to look at whether the applicant (i.e. each son) is receiving "such financial provision as it would be reasonable in all the circumstances of the case for the applicant to receive for his maintenance".

That is why I have asked whether they were in any way financially dependent on the deceased. If not, then it would appear that there is no reason to disapply intestacy law rules.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        Were these stepsons in any way financially maintained or supported by their father as at the date of his death?
        No they were not dependant. they live away and have jobs

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          My question above goes towards your question -

The answer to that question is that the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 allows for certain persons including children of the deceased to apply to the court "on the ground that the disposition of the deceased’s estate effected by his will or the law relating to intestacy, or the combination of his will and that law, is not such as to make reasonable financial provision for the applicant". So yes, the law of intestacy can be varied or disapplied.

The Court would have to look at whether the applicant (i.e. each son) is receiving "such financial provision as it would be reasonable in all the circumstances of the case for the applicant to receive for his maintenance".

That is why I have asked whether they were in any way financially dependent on the deceased. If not, then it would appear that there is no reason to disapply intestacy law rules.
          many thanks for your replies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X