• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Uncle's Estate and Probate Mess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle's Estate and Probate Mess

I was brought up by my Grandfather and Grandmother and led to believe that my Mother was my sister, and her siblings also my brother and sister. I was born out of wedlock and my Mother went off married and had two other children - my half-brother and half-sister (as I realise now, not a niece and nephew (apologies if this is messy).

When my grandparents died, their house was given to my Uncle who passed away Jauary 2023; with my Mother being the only surviving sibling, he had no family and died a batchelor.

My Mother passed away this month, and it would seem that nothing was done to resolve my Uncle's estate; on his death my Mum took to her bed and sort of gave up. My Mum is survived by her husband, my half-brother and half-sister.

The problem has arisen as obviously my Mum was going to sort out probate for my Uncle's estate; but now her husband needs to sort out Mum's estate.

Surviving blood relatives of Paul are; myself, my half-brother, my-half sister, and two first cousins (from my Aunt's marriage).

I am unclear as to who now would be considered as the person who needs to apply for probate on my Uncle's estate? and should this be sorted out prior to my Mothers estate.

If anyone can give some advice I would incredibly grateful - if you need any further information I am happy to oblige.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Is Paul your late uncle? I will assume that the answer is yes.

Did he leave a will? if yes, his executors should apply for Probate.

​​​​​​If not, then on what you have said, any of your uncle's nieces and nephews have the right to apply for Letters of Administration of his estate.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Is Paul your late uncle? I will assume that the answer is yes.

Did he leave a will? if yes, his executors should apply for Probate.

​​​​​​If not, then on what you have said, any of your uncle's nieces and nephews have the right to apply for Letters of Administration of his estate.
      No, he did not leave a will; this helps. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X