• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance after probate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance after probate?

Probate has now been granted but his widow remains in the house until she leaves. She claims that the house building insurance his now not her liability however the will states "she shall be responsible for all outgoings affecting it and keeping it in repair and insured comprehensively on such terms as my trustees require but they shall not be responsible for ensuring that my wife carries out these obligations in these respects?
    Tags: None

Has the house been left to the widow?

Everyone with an interest in the property should insure to protect that interest.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Please read the article "A guide to property trust wills " at flintbishop.co.uk
      The surviving spouse is responsible for maintenance, paying utility bills etc but the property insurance should be in the names of the surviving spouse and trustees.

Comment

No, the house has been left to his daughters from his first marriage. She, in essence is a life Tennant and the will states that she is responsible for the property insurance and up keep. Failure to do so would invalidate her right to remain and could be asked to leave? We believe that the trustees name/names should be on the insurance but she must pay for it, as stated in the will.

Comment

If she won't pay the premiums, will you leave the property uninsured?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

House insurance for only the buildings is usually fairly cheap. If I were you I would insure it yourself as Trustees and in her joint name. Then ask her to reimburse the premiums. If she won't personally I would let it go but others may suggest legal action you could take.

Protecting the asset for the Estate is more important than leaving it uninsured because she won't pay the premium.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

The will doesn't actually say his widow shall pay for the insurance. Normally the owner or owners of the property would insure it and then inform the tenant or tenants about the insurance terms that they have to comply with e.g notify the company if the property is left vacant for a period over a number of stated weeks.
              Nor does the will state that the life tenancy shall end if the tenant fails to pay for the insurance. It does state that the trustees shall not be responsible for ensuring that his widow carries out the obligations regarding maintenance etc.

Comment

Last edited by PallasAthena; 13th November 2023, 20:20:PM.
                All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Comment

But the will does state that "she shall be responsible for comprehensive insurance" .

Comment

If the widow continues to refuse to pay for insurance the owner should pay for insurance and then make a court claim against the widow. If the owner is successful, the widow will hopefully pay for insurance in future years.
                      If the widow is receiving financial benefit in the will, the executor could hold back money to pay for insurance and wait to see if he or she receives a court claim from the widow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper61 View Post
                        But the will does state that "she shall be responsible for comprehensive insurance" .
                        People do not always do what they should.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X