• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Executor blocking sale of property to highest bidder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executor blocking sale of property to highest bidder

Hello I'm one of two executors to a will. All the people I will refer to are related. Myself and the second executor are the only beneficiaries to the estate.

I applied for probate while the second executor deferred their right. I've sorted various assets without any issues or disputes, however there's an issue with the sale of a house. The second executor initially suggested there was 'hidden planning value' within the property that could ultimately benefit myself and/or others and a possible conflict of interest.

A solicitor said this matter should be investigated by a surveyor.

I instructed a surveyor to do a report. He could see no hidden/planning value or conflict of interest, however advised instructing a planning consultant. This was done and again his reportsaw no potential hidden value.

Now the second executor (who I emphasis doesn't have probate) is still saying they will block the transaction even though the other family member is willing to pay over market valuation for the house.

I believe as the sole administering executor it's my responsibility to take the best offer on the property?

Bearing in mind the second executor does not have probate can they block the sale? Are they not also obliged to accept the best offer?

Negotiation appears to be off the table so please don't suggest that.

Thank you.

Tags: None

As the executor holding the grant of Probate you have the right and title to sell. You will of course be accountable to the beneficiaries.

The other person named in the will as executor may have the right to apply to be added to the the grant of Probate.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by April27 View Post
      Hello I'm one of two executors to a will. All the people I will refer to are related. Myself and the second executor are the only beneficiaries to the estate.

I applied for probate while the second executor deferred their right. I've sorted various assets without any issues or disputes, however there's an issue with the sale of a house. The second executor initially suggested there was 'hidden planning value' within the property that could ultimately benefit myself and/or others and a possible conflict of interest.

A solicitor said this matter should be investigated by a surveyor.

I instructed a surveyor to do a report. He could see no hidden/planning value or conflict of interest, however advised instructing a planning consultant. This was done and again his reportsaw no potential hidden value.

Now the second executor (who I emphasis doesn't have probate) is still saying they will block the transaction even though the other family member is willing to pay over market valuation for the house.

I believe as the sole administering executor it's my responsibility to take the best offer on the property?

Bearing in mind the second executor does not have probate can they block the sale? Are they not also obliged to accept the best offer?

Negotiation appears to be off the table so please don't suggest that.

Thank you.

Thank you for your helpful response

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        As the executor holding the grant of Probate you have the right and title to sell. You will of course be accountable to the beneficiaries.

The other person named in the will as executor may have the right to apply to be added to the the grant of Probate.
        Thank you for your helpful response

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X