• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to dissolve a declaration of trust to simplify share of property to 50-50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dissolve a declaration of trust to simplify share of property to 50-50

My wife and I bought a house in 2018. We were not married at the time and our finances were uneven.

We each have our own children and realised we would have to carefully write our wills.

I put most of the capital into the house and so we bought it as tenants in common, and signed a declaration of trust which set out the %age share as 75% to me and 25% to my wife.

We then made our wills, which set up a life interest trust between first and second death. This was mainly to ensure security and residency of the house for my wife if I should die first.

As time has passed I feel it is now appropriate that the house should be shared equally. This is an opportunity to make the will much simpler.

We are thinking of changing the tenancy to joint but not sure how this should be done.

Can we now terminate the declaration of trust? What is involved in this?

It is referred to in the Land Registry documents so do they need to be updated?

As they are they don’t mention tenancy in common, this is only in the declaration.

Looking at the Will it seems possible that we can leave it as it is, but it contains a lot of clauses that will now be redundant.
    Tags: None

It should be possible to achieve what you want with a deed amending the declaration of trust. A good solicitor should be able to help you with this.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X