• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate problem

I hope this is in the appropriate place.

Hello, some progress has been made. My brother has agreed to sell the property my mother left us.
    On the probate documents the property is worth 425,000. He was going to buy me out so a year later got a buy to let mortgage evaluation which was 365,000.
    He says he's done work on the property and added value to it.

Please could you tell me which figure do we go by to work out how much the property has gone up in value?

The open market figure of 425,000 on the probate paperwork or his mortgage 365,000 figure?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Surely the market will decide, i. e. the price a buyer agrees to pay.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I think you've misunderstood my question.

I'm asking which figure do we use next to the buyers price to calculate how much my brother has increased the price by? Bet

Comment

Hi
        it's your question that is confusing.
        Does your brother still intend to sell it to you or put it on the market?
        I think the mortgage valuation should be ignored as mortgage lenders tend to undervalue, especially now, as prices are falling.
        On the other hand, the probate figure may have been overvalued. Did an estate agent value the property for probate or did the executor make a judgement?
        Are you saying your brother wants more than 50% of the sale value because he worked on the property?
        How much work did your brother do?
        Your brother appears to have worked on the property when house prices are falling, meaning that he may not have increased the property value at all.
        My advice is to obtain a local estate agents valuation and at the same time get their advice on property's valuation a year ago and how your brother's work has affected the valuation since probate.

Comment

Sorry, ignore my second sentence. Does your brother intend to keep the house or sell it?
          If he intends to keep it then you still need estate agent's valuations as above.
          Only an estate agent can advise whether the work your brother did added value.

Comment

Surely the Probate value has already been used for tax purpose, in which case surely you are looking at any uplift from that.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OP's case involving a dispute with the brother about the house has been going on since OP's first thread a few years ago. So the valuation for probate will be out of date.
              House prices have risen and fallen since 2020. So a current market valuation is more accurate. If the property proves difficult to sell the value may fall again...

Comment

If OP's brother says he has carried out improvements and wants to deduct this cost from OP's 50% share then OP should argue that the brother has benefited living rent free and OP has lost investment interest on his or her share of the money since 2021.

Comment

Thank you for the answers.

We are selling the property together, managed by a mediator as we can't communicate ourselves.

We are getting an estate agent to reevaluated the property and they will be working out how much the work (shoddy paint job, one wall knocked down between the kitchen and dining room, and new bathroom suite) will have affected the price.

I like the counter argument of "the brother has benefited living rent free and OP has lost investment interest on his or her share of the money since 2021." I asked him for rent in 2020 when it became apparent he was going to be a problem. He laughed and told me that's not going to happen.

Now I'm ready with a few counter arguments and questions for the next mediation session. Thank you

Comment

Your brother should have been paying you 50% of the market rental value from the date probate granted, the time when the house could have been let.
                    You should work that out, probably comes to Łks

Comment

The house is in no state to be let. Would that make a difference?

Comment

I should have added, that even though he was living there he wouldn't pay me rent because he said it wasn't let worthy to the general public

Comment

Also, why from the date probate was granted. Asking so I understand what I'm talking about when I raise this point. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by SherbetLemon View Post
                            I should have added, that even though he was living there he wouldn't pay me rent because he said it wasn't let worthy to the general public
                            In what way wasn't it let worthy? Does he mean it would have been illegal to let it? Why?

In the current property market every property is letable unless there's a reason why it would have actually been illegal to let it . The open market rental would reflect the condition.
                            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

From the date probate is granted executors can deal with the assets as per the will. The executors could have sold the property or arranged a let.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X