• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance - Property Disposal - Capital Gains - Private residence relief

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance - Property Disposal - Capital Gains - Private residence relief

Hi all - firstly it's been a while since i was here - last time your amazing support helped me get a set aside for an unknown CCJ, and very much enjoyed the day in court against the ill-prepared rep of the financial institution.

I now have another area I might need a bit of outline advice - as I've done quite a bit of researching, and currently not coming up with a fairly clear answer. (And I understand this is a forum with views and opinions - but it may be that someone has experienced something similar, so it's very much worth asking!)

* Mum passed away in 2019.

* I moved into the family home after living overseas for a few years - again in 2019 - to support my dad to help him get back on his feet.

* He rewrote his will in 2020 to exclude my sister due to the fact she'd 'borrowed' a substantial amount of money, and failed to pay it back. (Not relevant - but useful background info)

* Instead of him getting back on his feet, it ultimately ended up that I became his carer, and he too passed in 2021.

* Probate was eventually granted after some blockages by a sibling that had been excluded from the will, although these blockages are now resolved.

* The house is currently 'under offer' and sold subject to contract.

* Due to the delay from the initial property valuations after my dad's passing and today - the property value has increased.

* When the house is sold (excluding the residuary estate) my sister will receive 25% of the value - and I will receive 75% of the value.

* The difference in price from initial valuation to current sales price is about £70k. 75% of that £70k (my share) is around £52k - which if capital gains tax applies would be around £10k.

* From 2019 to the current day the property has been my main and only residence.

* I don't own any other property anywhere in the world

From the above info (and happy to supply additional info if it helps) - would the board experts be able to share a view on whether as the property was my main residence prior to my dad passing, and has been ever since, that there may be a case for 'Private residence relief' so that I don't have to pay capital gains tax? The inheritance will be used to purchase my onward primary residence.

The gov.uk website doesn't really cover the above as an example:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ce-relief-2020

And the only other info that looks remotely close is this one which does mention inheriting 75%:

https://library.croneri.co.uk/cch_uk/etc/15535

I'd welcome replies from anyone that might be able to point me in the right direction, share a view, or have real-world experience they'd be kind enough to share? Thanks in advance.

Tags: None

Wait for one of the more experienced to answer,

But in the 90s, as long as you lived in the property for a month you could nominate it as your private residence. It looks still the same but i have only basic understanding of the rules in the 90s, nothing recent.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-property-mone...herit/property

quote " Selling the property

You do not pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell your home. You will pay it if you make a profit when you sell a property that is not your main home.

If inheriting a property means you own 2 properties, you must tell HMRC which property is your main home within 2 years.

If you do not tell HMRC which of your properties is your main home, HMRC will decide if a property was your main home when you sell it.
    "

crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
      Wait for one of the more experienced to answer,

But in the 90s, as long as you lived in the property for a month you could nominate it as your private residence. It looks still the same but i have only basic understanding of the rules in the 90s, nothing recent.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-property-mone...herit/property

quote " Selling the property

You do not pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell your home. You will pay it if you make a profit when you sell a property that is not your main home.

If inheriting a property means you own 2 properties, you must tell HMRC which property is your main home within 2 years.

If you do not tell HMRC which of your properties is your main home, HMRC will decide if a property was your main home when you sell it.
      "

Thanks for your helpful reply There doesn't appear to be much information out there from people's previous experiences in a similar position. I've just found that HMRC now have a forum as well - and have posted there too. If I get a response there before I get a response here - I'll update the thread either way - but if someone with experience happens to know it'd be great to hear. (I do know that HMRC themselves are not always spot on in their initial responses).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X