• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will / Property battle - Family forcing sale of home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will / Property battle - Family forcing sale of home

Help needed...
    My mum passed away late last year. She co owned a home with her parents, in equal thirds, both parents passed some time ago.
    Her sister took their mother to make a will back in 1990 that left her sole beneficiary. My mum was ill in hospital at the time and had a breakdown after her dad died. As English wasn't my grandmothers first language she was manipulated to make this will and had no understanding of the law. No one knew of this will until the day after my grandma died. The will left my mums sister as two thirds owner and my mum with her original third share of the house.
    My mums solicitor advised she contest the will as it was over 20 years out of date and unfair to my mum but as he was executor passed her to another firm who advised her badly and said not to go to court due to the costs.
    My mums sister spent 17 years with. vendetta of harassment against my mum and myself and daughter and trying to force us to leave the house. Police became involved as she once assaulted me when I was pregnant. There were attempts at an out of court settlement but all fell through many years ago.
    So here I am, my mum is gone, her family know I am vulnerable alone here with my daughter and they are now threatening us.
    I have kiviedhere with my mum and grandparents since they bought the house and we moved in in 1980, so over 40 years. I have now received a solicitors letter threatening legal action if I do not sell. We are devastated. I live with my daughter who is 12 and we have no family now my mum is gone. We have no money to fight a battle legal and in a state of grief have little energy to fight a battle like this.
    I can't get through to citizens advise on the phone, I tried several legal firms but cannot afford the fees and they say I won't get legal aid. I honestly don't know where to turn. Our home is all we have left. Everything feels so hopeless.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Did your mum have a will leaving her one third share of the house to you? Did she leave anything else? Although this has obviously been home to you and your daughter for many years would your share of the house be enough for you to buy another property and make a new home? You might be able to access initial legal advice through your home insurance

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X