• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate problem

A few years ago my mother passed away leaving my brother and I joint owners of a property.
    My brother and I agreed that he would get a mortgage to buy my half of the property.

​​​He moved in and communication has broken down. He's had the property revalued as a condition of his mortgage. The new evaluation is £60,000 less than the initial value.
    I have been told I'm legally allowed to get three market value quotes and go for the middle one.
    The problem is access to the house. I have none, I imagine my brother will block any attempt to get quotes or access. He has changed the locks.

Where do I stand legally? Can I turn up and insist I'm allowed in?
    Tags: None

Families!

You can go to court to get an order that the house be sold.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Who is executor?

Comment

We are joint executors.

Comment

Then you have equal legal right to assess the property.The bit about three valuations is not correct. You are each entitled to get whatever valuations you want and to rely on whatever valuation suits you. It just looks very much less convincing the more you get.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. How can I access the house without his permission? He's changed the locks.

Comment

Locksmith ??????

Comment

It's his home. That sounds like breaking and entering.

Comment

Originally posted by SherbetLemon View Post
                  It's his home. That sounds like breaking and entering.
                  Then you have equal legal right to assess the property.

Comment

Sorry your last post doesn't make sense
                    ​​​​​.

Comment

As you are joint owners he did not have the right to exclude you by changing the locks, hence you are entitled to use a locksmith to access your property

You might even have a right to occupation rent!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        As you are joint owners he did not have the right to exclude you by changing the locks, hence you are entitled to use a locksmith to access your property

You might even have a right to occupation rent!
                        Thanks Des

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X