• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question about leaving house to children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about leaving house to children

In my Will, as the surviving parent, I wish---if possible---the following to take place:

W1--- to leave my house to be lived in by any or all of my children if they so wish (and at least one may wish to do so, and indeed does so part time at present, and is registered locally with the council and for voting purposes; a second may also wish to settle into the house; the third is unlikely to),
    W2--- with no requirement that a third of the house value is to be paid by each who lives in the house to those who don't, but
    W3--- if at any time, either then or in the future, they all agree to sell the house, then the proceeds of the sale to be divided equally among all of my children.

Q1--- Is it sufficient to write a statement something like that in the Will?
    Q2--- Or can I only go so far as to leave the house to all of the children collectively, and what then takes place is not something that can be specified in a Will, but is a matter for them alone?
    Q3--- Or is some sort of Trust required if I wish W1, W2, W3 to be enacted? If so, what sort of Trust? And is there a website where more can be read about that type of Trust?
    Tags: None

The answer is in Q3. Above all, I recommend getting professional advice on the drafting, so as to avoid a dog's dinner capable of several different interpretations.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. But, as with all things in which I need to get involved with a professional, I like to read as much as I can beforehand around the topic so to have a better understanding of what is in discussion. Without such background reading, I can be very lost in an unfamiliar area, no matter how clearly the professional tries to make the topic. In this case I've already been to the government website and sites of solicitors where Trusts are discussed, and have so far found no type of Trust that seems as all appropriate, hence the two questions at the end of Q3.

Comment

While this is not really my area, I have generally been less interested in what things are called than in what they actually do.

You might try putting a phrase such as "will trusts for children" into your preferred internet search engine.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X