• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confused, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused, please help!

I'm hoping someone can advise please.

Firstly, I need to state that my mother is not a nice person. She has abused myself, my sister, my late father and anyone else who gets close to her all her life. Just stating this as some of the following may sound harsh.

My uncle passed away in 2002. He left his home and money to my mother, (his sister-in-law) as he was a widower with no children, but he stipulated in the will that in order to inherit the home, my mother had to live in it. My mother didn't want to live in it. She told me that, if she didn't live in it, my uncle had stipulated that it had to be sold and the money divided between my sister and my three sons, whom he loved dearly.

My mother then asked if I would sign something at the solicitors if she contested the will to say that, if she DIDNT live in it, I agreed that the house could be sold and she would get the money, but when SHE died, I would get the money from the house and my sister would get the money in the bank (partly my uncles, partly hers). In other words, that I was happy for my uncles will not to be honoured and the house to not go to my son's. I refused as I said I couldn't in clear conscience overrule what my uncle had wanted, those were his wishes. Neither my mother nor my sister were happy about this but I stood my ground.
    So, my mother had to sell her home and move into my uncles house, which was far more manageable for her as an older person as it was two bedroomed and not four bedrooms like the one she was rattling around in alone.

I have recently obtained a copy of my late uncles will, which does state that, in order to inherit the house, she has to live in it. However, it said that, should she not live in it, it was to be sold and the money divided between me and my sister. No mention of my son's inheriting half if it?
    It also states that, upon her death or upon her leaving the home to live elsewhere, the house solely comes to me. Not to my sister or anyone else.
    Now, my mother cut all contact with myself and my children three years ago. My sister begrudgingly sees her occasionally. I do not know if my sister is aware of what was in my uncles will or not as my mother lies to everyone about everything.

My sister has told me that my mother changed her will when she cut contact with me, changing it from everything that is hers being divided between me and my sister, to my sister being her sole beneficiary. She also told me there is a letter the solicitor has been instructed to read to me upon her death which is utterly vile and my sister has recommended I don't hear it.

My sister is approaching retirement age, our mother 92, and in poor health. My sister plans to sell her own house upon our mother's death and move into our mother's whilst inheriting my mother's money (our mother spent everything my uncle left her) as well. She thinks the house is hers. I don't know for sure if she knows the truth about my uncles will and I don't want to alienate her but will my uncles will stand? Will the house come to me? I don't want it and wasn't going to bother but my children could definitely use the financial help to get on the property ladder that I, as a single parent, can't provide.

Do I wait until my mother passes to bring it up or should I put something in place before that happens? Please advise as it is eating me up inside. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Has your mother written out a will and gifted away a property that she does not own?

Comment

Thank you for replying. She's stated in her will that the house is to be left to my sister, but my uncles will said that he was leaving her (my mother) the house when he died-on the condition that she lived in it, but that when she died, the house was to come to me.
      Basically, can his wishes stand? Can he leave her the house, but stipulate what she does with it when she dies?

Comment

Have you downloaded the deeds at land registry to see what the ownership actually states.

She can not inherit it, if she is only allowed to live in it until death and then be passed to you.

Was there not any mention of a trust in place, stating she has a life interest and then passed on to you at death or moved out, meaning she can’t sell it/lend on the property?

Why did your uncle state, if your mother doesn’t live in the house, to sell the it and the proceeds go to your sister and your sons, but if she lives in it, it’s to be inherited by only you?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X