• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will advice - daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will advice - daughter

Hi there

Im hoping someone maybe able to give me some advice here as im unsure what to do. My daughters grandfather left my daughter and his other grandchildren (2) his home. He did not leave it to his daughter (my daughter's mum) as he gave her a considerable amount of money 30k to help with home improvements when he was alive. These were completed but she moved out to be with a new partner about six months after the improvements were completed, to which he was very unhappy about as he thought she would be staying there. Hence I think he then decided to leave his house to his grandchildren.

After he died, his daughter turned his home into a holiday let which has been booked out every week since she started letting it a year ago. Im hoping that the money generated from this is going into some sort of trust fund for my daughter and the other grand children. My daughter's mother does not speak to me and I am concerned that the money could be going into her pocket and not my daughters. My daughter wants to go to university in a few years so is there anything i can do her to make sure / check that the money is being saved for her, or should i just stay out of it? I dont want my daughter losing out and on past experience her mum is not particularly nice so wouldnt put this past her. Im worried if i dont do something now then by the time she is 18 her mum may have spent the money and therefore more difficult to recover if she has done something like this.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

In the first place, you need to ask the lady.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry don't understand. Do you mean my daughter or her mum and what am I asking?

Comment

Have you asked your ex your questions about what she is doing and how she is safeguarding your daughter's inheritance?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No I have not. She does not communicate with me and I would not get a response if I did. Do you think I should still ask her the question? If I dont get a response what would be my next step? Many thanks.

Comment

Sometimes it is important to be able to show that you have written but received no reply. At the moment you have suspicions, but it appears no basis to say whether they are well founded.

I am assuming that you have parental responsibility for your daughter and that you are entitled to make enquiries for the purpose of looking after her interests.

Comment

Yes my daughter lives with me half the time and has done for the previous ten years or so. I am wanting to protect her interests for her future. You are right I have suspicions but no evidence to say either way. So I will write to my daughter's mum as advised, but assuming I receive no reply what should my next steps be? Thank you.

Comment

You could look at Land Registry to see what is said in the proprietorship register of the title document for the property.

A beneficiary (such as your daughter - or you on her behalf) can ask a trustee (in case your ex wife) for an account of dealings with trust property. If need be, you can go to court seeking an order that an account be provided.

Comment

Thank you for your advice here. So if it is all above board then I should expect to see my daughter's name and other grandchildren on the land registry and not my ex partners?

Comment

Not necessarily. Let's start by seeing what there is.

Comment

ok thanks ill do this and report back then - very much appreciated.

Comment

Hi there

Apologies for the delay in responding to this. So I have now got a copy of the land registry title deeds for the property and it says it was registered solely in my ex partner's (daughters mum) name around 17 months ago.

Does this sound all okay if the mum was putting the rental proceeds into a trust fund for my daughter and her dads other grand children? Is there something i should do now to check this? I just dont trust my ex partner to do the right thing im afraid and i dont want my daughter to lose out or her Grandad's wishes not to be followed.

Comment

Are there any restrictions entered in the Land Registry document?

Comment

Im not quite sure what im looking for but in the Proprietorship section there is a Considerations part that says 'implementation of will' and in the securities section there is a specification part that says about standard security being made to a named bank by the mum and also payment of a grant by the local council to the grandad.

There are two burdens - one which includes it can only be used as a private house for residential purposes only (so presumably means she cant holiday let) , the other conditions look standard for a shared block and the second burden says 'Under burden of any servitudes wayleaves rights of access and others however constituted.' which i dont know what that means.

Is that helpful?

Comment

My other question is if the will stated that the property is to be left to the grandchildren then can his daughter (my daughter's mother) register the property in her name? Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X