• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance rights after father killed mother

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance rights after father killed mother

My sister was killed by her husband in 1995, he was subsequently convicted of manslaughter and served a period of imprisonment. They had three young children, who spent most of their childhood in foster care. They had no further dealings with their father. He died in 2020.

At the time of death, they all lived at a jointly mortgaged property that was repossessed by the building society a time later, due to non-payment of the mortgage. I think I remember the name of the building society in question. If correct, they have since been merged with another building society.

Out of the blue, my nephew was contacted by one of these heir-hunter organizations stating that he could be entitled to some money because the amount from the sale of the property exceeded the mortgage arrears. They are willing to act but they want 21% ! He has asked me to make some inquiries for him because understandably, it all brings back painful memories for him. He is keen to avoid having a big chunk taken from his potential inheritance.

My questions are :

1. How do I find out definitively which Building society held the money ?
    2. How difficult would it be to claim this money from the building society?
    3. Are they entitled to interest on the money held?
    4. Why did it take the death of their father to trigger their entitlement? (surely he forfeited rights to the property when he killed their mother).
    5. In their father's will he left them nothing. Was he really entitled to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Tags: None

Have you checked the unclaimed estates list?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...d-estates-list

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X