• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate question

My father is involved in a dispute over his late wife's estate. In her Will she left him some money (£40,000) which he is unable to access as a caveat was put on by a family member. If the dispute went to court and the family member won then my father would not receive this money. Depending on the outcome of the dispute, my father may or may not receive this money. We were discussing the dispute a few days ago and he brought up a good question that neither of us had thought about before. I told him I would ask on this forum for some information and advice. The question is: If he died before the dispute was settled, would his estate be able to be administered and probate obtained or would that not be possible until the dispute over his late wife's estate was dealt with and probate obtained first (the reason being that it would not be possible to value his estate without knowing if he would eventually receive the £40,000)? Would it make a difference if when including the £40,000 in the estate calculations, it does not put the value of his estate over the £325,000 threshold anyway? Would that be a factor as to whether his estate could be administered/probate obtained? Or would this potential future asset of £40,000 (if ever received at a later point) be dealt with separately at a later date and after the original probate was dealt with/granted? I hope these questions make sense! Thanks for advice.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by blueriver View Post
    My father is involved in a dispute over his late wife's estate. In her Will she left him some money (£40,000) which he is unable to access as a caveat was put on by a family member. If the dispute went to court and the family member won then my father would not receive this money. Depending on the outcome of the dispute, my father may or may not receive this money.

We were discussing the dispute a few days ago and he brought up a good question that neither of us had thought about before. I told him I would ask on this forum for some information and advice.

The question is: If he died before the dispute was settled, would his estate be able to be administered and probate obtained or would that not be possible until the dispute over his late wife's estate was dealt with and probate obtained first (the reason being that it would not be possible to value his estate without knowing if he would eventually receive the £40,000)?

Would it make a difference if when including the £40,000 in the estate calculations, it does not put the value of his estate over the £325,000 threshold anyway?

Would that be a factor as to whether his estate could be administered/probate obtained? Or would this potential future asset of £40,000 (if ever received at a later point) be dealt with separately at a later date and after the original probate was dealt with/granted?

I hope these questions make sense! Thanks for advice.
    Use of paragraphs makes walls of text easier to read!

Q1. This should not be a reason to delay probate of your father's estate when he dies.

Q2. As described by you no difference is made - or have I misunderstood the question?

Q3. The asset represented by this claim - if still unresolved - will have to be valued. But the way you have described it, IHT is unlikely to be an issue.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I appreciate your reply Atticus.
      So just to confirm I understand, upon my father's death, if the dispute is still ongoing and unresolved, the probate on his estate will not be delayed and could still go ahead, just as long as we include the £40,000 as a potential future asset?

Comment

yep.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X