• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Misappropriation of Trust//Estate Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misappropriation of Trust//Estate Property

Hello, new to the forums and all that. I am seeking some entry-level advice concerning misappropriation.

Following my grandmother's death in 2021, her estate (house, cars, and all) were split equally between her three children, so 33.33% or thereabouts. The issue that's arisen concerns one of the cars stated in the will. Despite everything else being divided equally, one of my grandmother's sons has taken one of the cars and gifted it to his daughter without the consent, or approval, of either of the two other parties.

Is this misappropriation? And if so, can the value of this car be deducted from the value of the house (when sold)?
    Tags: None

Perhaps, to both. Is it worth enough to fall out over?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hello,

Could you expand upon the perhaps?

The 'fallout' per se has already taken place, that portion of the family has isolated itself from the remainder of the family. It's more a matter of principle, than of money.

Comment

The simplest thing will be to bring the value of the vehicle into the overall accounting.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your prompt response, Atticus.

How would this be done, and what would you suggest to do if the other party objects?

Comment

Dialogue.

"What about that car you took? Glass's Guide says it's worth £x".

Who is/are the executor(s)? Beneficiaries can ask them to provide an account. NB that you do not appear to be a beneficiary.

Comment

You are correct, I am not. I am the eldest son of one of said beneficiaries, who just so happens to be the executor. Hence my query here, on her behalf.

And if dialogue between the executor, and said beneficiary has already broken down, what are the potential avenues?

From what I led to believe by parties other than the executor, the misappropriating beneficiary intentionally took possession of the vehicle; denied others access, and has since ceased communication with all but their own children - and so, have alienated themselves from the family at large.
              Thank you, once again.

Comment

Is the value of the vehicle known? If so, perhaps the executor can put this and other items into account when calculating further distributions, i.e. treating the value of such items as a payment on account.

Comment

Yes, the value of the car was assessed both at the time of the will being completed (a few weeks before the deceased past), and I can do it again.

So, pardon me here, from what I'm understanding the executor has the power to mark the value of the car as a payment to the beneficiary; which in turn counts as a proportion of their third, and can be deducted from the remaining assets, i.e. the property soon to be sold?

Comment

The value of the car can be added to the total estate, and treated as a payment on account of that person's overall entitlement.

Let's say net sale proceeds of the house are £150,000, value of car £3,000. Total £153,000.1/3 of that is £51,000. But one beneficiary has already had £3,000, so receives a further payment of £48,000.

NB car should be valued at the date the deceased person died.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X