• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small estate but still have to do probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small estate but still have to do probate

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but I was just filling in the online probate forms at gov.uk and there were some things which were unclear to me.

My dad passed away in November and left a will in which he left everything to my mum. Pretty straightforward. Everything, bar an ISA, was in joint names. Even more straightforward. However, the ISA is over the threshold the bank allows for a simple close and withdraw - it's £60k. They're insisting we get a grant of probate in order for them to close the account and transfer the funds to my mum. Pain!

So I was starting the process of getting probate online. We didn't really want to pay a solicitor as I was hoping it would be pretty easy to do myself. Hmmm, we'll see, I guess.

Straightaway, on the first page for "What are the values of the estate for Inheritance Tax?", there's 3 questions which to me seem a bit unclear...

It first asks "Gross value - This is the total value of all assets like property, money and gifts in the last 7 years before taking off any debts". Do I include half of the valuation of the property? And half of any amounts in joint bank accounts? And all the amounts in sole bank accounts? And, on the property valuation, if I had 2 or 3 valuations, do I take the average value? Or the highest?

The second question asks "Net value - Take off any debts like mortgage and credit cards from the gross value" - here I don't think he had any real debts, even credit cards were paid off every month. So this would be the same value as above, right?

And the final questions asks "Net qualifying value - Take off from the net value any assets passed to spouse or civil partner and money left to a charity." So does this leave a zero amount, as everything gets passed to my mum?

Thanks for any help and guidance
    Tags: None

Regarding Net value. You are correct here. And funeral expenses can also be deducted.

Regarding NQV. As you suggest, this is zero.

Regarding Gross value I don't know enough about inheritance rules in England and Wales to offer a response.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X