• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contesting a Will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contesting a Will

Hi there,
    My father has sorted out his affairs with a will etc but is concerned that members of the family will contest his wishes. Is there any thing he can do to prevent this and get a medical sign off that he is of sound mind etc?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Did your father instruct a solicitor to prepare his will? If so, the 'capacity' question should have been covered. A solicitor should usually discuss reasons for excluding from a will someone who might otherwise expect to benefit.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ok great - thanks will double check. He did instruct a solicitor to prepare his will. The main reason is because he is excluding estranged siblings as a result of them and he no longer having contact because of issues in the past.
      Last edited by London2022; 30th November 2022, 14:57:PM.

Comment

Did your father still have to mention all his children on the Will, even though they were no longer beneficiaries?

Comment

If, as you suggest, that is the only reason for not mentioning the persons you mention is that they were estranged family members, then forget them.

Comment

Dslippy

Nut if you’re revoking a will the will preparation statement has to show why you are deleting them from the will, I thought.

Plus I thought all your children had to be mentioned of leaving them out, does anybody know?

Comment

With respect, what you thought is not correct.

It may be wise to give reasons for disinheriting someone, but that is all.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I agree.

There is no need to specify those who have been left out of the instructions for your will.

Comment

Atticus

No, you have to explain, why you are revoking a will, all typed out plus dated exhibits, in the will preparation statement, along with who was present, who made the appointment, testator’s health/capacity ecetera, at the request of a Larke v Nugus letter to the will writer/solicitor..

Comment

You may have misunderstood me. These things are advisable, but not mandatory.

I made the point in post #2.
                    Last edited by atticus; 9th January 2023, 10:44:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X