• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scummy "Debtee" sibling attempting to take all of inheritance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scummy "Debtee" sibling attempting to take all of inheritance.

Hello all, I would like to know the best course of action for a situation as follows:
    Both parents have died, one sibling has moved out and started a family long ago, another sibling never moved out (50+ years of life there) and was "taking care" of one of the very elderly parents for a few years. The sibling that has not moved out has lived there for free for so long under the unofficial agreement that they would take care of the elderly parents. When there was only one parent left being "cared" for, substantial money was coming in to compensate the sibling and their short-term partner for helping with the parent's needs (I believe because it would mean they had to be unemployed to have the time to do that, not that they would likely be employed anyway).
    Also, important detail: when the already moved-out sibling suggested a nursing home / care facility, the other sibling refused, saying they would get paid if the parent was kept at home and "cared" for by themself.
    Skip forward about a year, both parents are now dead, and the will says 50/50 between the siblings on everything. The house is being claimed by the bank because of a reverse mortgage, and between 100-200 thousand will be left over for inheritance. Scummy never moved-out sibling has been selling valuables from the house, and is heavily heavily believed to be hiding other important items in "their" room that supposedly only has "their own belongings". This is not the main problem. The main problem is that scummy sibling is claiming they went into credit card debt in order to "take care" of the parent (literally just buying adult diapers, food, and covering the houses bills for once over about a year). There is no way that these things were not covered by the money paid to them for "caring" for the parent. They ARE in fact in debt, but for their own incompetence, greed, and material lifestyle. They are going to try and claim that they are owed by the estate for all of their debt, and that all of that is what it cost to stay at home and take care of their parent. The other sibling with a family is going to get 50% of whatever is left, which will likely be nothing considering the amount of debt they have accrued.
    These siblings are co-executors, and good sibling is considering applying for a court mediator (25-30% fee from the estate) in order to guarantee the chance to review whatever "receipts" the scumbag sibling might forge. The scummy sibling is not to be trusted on their word, so an agreement to cut out the mediator fee in exchange for not claiming to be a debtee is not an option via word. A contract will likely cost more(?) than the mediator and their fee.

What options are there? What can be done to guarantee that this sibling will not forge receipts or claim to be owed by the estate? Or is the only option to have fees taken out from the estate for a mediator to split the rest 50/50? Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for all and any help.
    Tags: None

there can be no guarantee that your charming sibling will not do anything unlawful. People should of course behave within the law, but I am led to understand that there are occasions when some do not. In such events there may be consequences, but to bring about those consequences, in a civil case, requires those affected to gather evidence and to put the money and effort into bringing those consequences about.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The sibling taking care of the elderly parents should be given every support as it is they that took on the burden of care. What did the sibling that had already left do to help the parents during their later years?

Unless you can prove that anything at all is incorrect, then dont expect any legal course to help out. If you have proof of incorrect actions, then you may have a case.

Comment

I tend to agree with Sam101 .

What did the sibling who moved out (who I presume is ichbinfrost ) do to support the sibling who remained and who looked after their joint aged parents? And what did ichbinfrost themself do to look after those aged parents?

And what concrete evidence is there of wrongdoing?

(​​​​​​​Is ichbinfrost an example of nominative determinism?)

Comment

The sibling who lived with the aged parents only "took care" of the one parent, and only for the final year or so of life. I write "care" in quotes everywhere because they did not take very good care of the parent, and would constantly yell and verbally abuse them. The parent was not kept clean, not fed well, not taken out anywhere, and not bathed. The only reason the sibling lived there was that the parents never kicked them out, and never charged them for living there. The only reason the sibling agreed legally to "take care" of the parent was that the sibling wanted to get paid for staying home.

I didn't want to get into it because I don't think it would affect anything legally. Morally, if the parent was taken well care of, even if the sibling didn't go into debt, it would be arguable that they deserve more of the inheritance. This is not the case. Once again, the sibling was allowed to live there for free, for over 50 years. The everyday expenses of taking care of a person were easily covered by the pay coming in for that, and if anything (surgery, therapy, etc.) cost too much, it would have been split (as the funeral expenses have been). I am not framing it this way solely because I am against this sibling, I am framing it this way because there is far more I haven't mentioned about the ego, selfishness, and entitlement of this sibling.

The facts are that the will says 50/50, regardless of who deserves what, it is illegal to falsify receipts of "going in debt" to take care of the parent to get the entire estate. Draining the estate account claiming to be a debtee is illegal. Suing after the fact will not work, as even if the court demands the sibling pay back the money, it will never be paid back (as the sibling has never held a job for more than a month, doesn't want a job, and will probably spend all of it immediately on their own debt they have collected through life (from never having a job)). Paying for lawyers beforehand will mean the sibling hasn't done anything wrong yet (with the estate's account at least), and legal fees will not be covered. Going without lawyers will almost surely end in money being drained completely out of the account to pay the debt accrued "from taking care of the parent" (which it was not), and receipts may not be doubted, verified, or looked into. What is the best course of action to minimize fees and get the 50% inheritance as the parents requested?

Comment

Have the executors obtained a grant of Probate?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X