• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property in joint owned house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property in joint owned house

My mother is 84, in a home and of the belief that she won't be around too long. She has a will that leaves everything 50/50 to me and my sister. Sadly, in recent months, my sister has made it clear she thinks everything should go to her, as she has kids to pass on to and I don't. My mother was discussing this yesterday and how she thinks my sister will want to raid our house for everything she can, when I am not there.

The house where I have always lived is owned my mother and me as joint tenants, so would not form part of the estate, as it would pass to me upon her passing. but my question regards the contents of the house - Particularly things like furniture, appliances, white goods, audio/video equipment etc... Some was bought by me and some by my mother. I am not sure how this works. Do they class as jointly owned, in the same way as the house, thus passing to me or would they form part of the estate?

There are certain things that we have always verbally agreed would go to my sister, which I would never dream of stopping, but I am concerned that I am going to be left with a half empty house, furniture gone, TV gone etc.

In the absence of reason for a difference (agreement etc), what is bought belongs to the person paying for it.

How you stop your sister doing what you suggest is primarily a practical one. Best might be to talk to her at length to agree what she should take and in satisfaction of what.

How sure are you that the property is held in joint names?

Comment

100% This was done a few years ago, after my sister told my mother she expected me out of the house when she passes, so that she could sell it and have the money. My mother was upset about this, as it has always been my home and, until then, the intention was for us to get half each. As my sister already has two houses, my mother decided to have the house put in both names as joint tennants.

Discussing the contents with my sister is an issue. Both my mother and I are sure she will say one thing and do another, just taking whatever she can get, once my mother passes.

You have answered my question though, as it seems we do not have joint ownership of what is in the house, so if things do go straightforward and the will executed, the furnature and white goods (Initially bought by my parents) would not become mine with the house.

I guess the problem will come with not being able to show who bought what. Even things that I bought, I'm sure will be contested

Comment

Just make sure that you have new locks with absolute security so that she cannot obtain access.

Comment

Yes, change the locks now or you will end up in the situation I found myself, everything pinched even stuff left to me in a Will. The Police will do nothing so sort it out now.

Comment

That's a tough call. At present, the house is still my mum's, just as much as mine. She wants my sister to have a key, too be able to get things to take to her in the home she is in. The house is still full of her things.

It would be a case of changing the locks as soon as she passes, but tbh, when that happens, my mind might not be on such things

Comment

Take lots of photographs of the contents so that you can prove what was there. Make sure the camera has a date on the images, but change the locks as soon as appropriate.

Comment

Consider installing a safe for smaller high value items.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X