• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

second property/simple will?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second property/simple will?

Hello,
    Prior to choosing either a solicitor, a will writing company or, compiling our own wills, ( mirror wills) then, probably getting them checked by a solicitor, I am wondering if, our jointly owned second property (was formerly our prime residence) would be a complication. i.e. how it should be included/annotated in the wills and would it automatically be treated the same as our current jointly owned prime residence, when one of us dies?
    Would it preclude us from a simple will, whether DIY or with a will writing company? It is the only thing which concerns me about our wills being made invalid, whether by us or whoever we choose to make our wills.
    We hope to sell our second property in the next year incidentally.

Regards and thanks.
    Tags: None

you diy at your and your heirs' risk. One of the many benefits of instructing a solicitor will be that they carry mandatory professional indemnity insurance.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Both residences should be treated as just part of your assets.

What is to be done with them depends primarily on how they are held under joint tenancies or as tenants in common.

Your desire to avoid complications is to be applauded. Stick to it, and be careful of anyone suggesting a need for deeds of trust unless this is properly justified.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
        Both residences should be treated as just part of your assets.

What is to be done with them depends primarily on how they are held under joint tenancies or as tenants in common.

Your desire to avoid complications is to be applauded. Stick to it, and be careful of anyone suggesting a need for deeds of trust unless this is properly justified.
        Thank you for your reply.

Our second home, ( previously our prime residence) is owned by myself and my wife as joint tenants.

Qu; If I die before it is sold, does the ownership pass to my wife the same as our current prime residence? If that is the case

does it need to be mentioned separately in the wills? Can it not be included as " I GIVE all my property real and personal

whatsoever and wheresoever to my wife/husband" followed by

the 28 days clause?

Many thanks.

Last edited by winform; 27th September 2022, 13:55:PM.

Comment

If it is held under a joint tenancy, then each of you owns the entire property. When one dies, that interest simply disappears. The survivor already owns tye entire property, so nothing passes, and indeed the will speaks from the moment after death, and the interest in the property disappears immediately before death. There is nothing for the will to bite on.

Comment

If I may say so, that should also serve as a warning to get the wills drafted by a solicitor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X