• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mr b

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr b

My real father lived and died in Scotland as I got adopted when mother remarried I have no right to his estate even though I was a minor when mother remarried .can this be appalled in court and has any other cases ever won
    Tags: None

Was the adoption order subject to Scots Law?

Comment

Sotty Dee B, but your meaning is unclear. Punctuation would help. I suspect that the answer will be that most of the posters on this site would be reluctant to advise on Scots law.

Comment

ScottishSolicitor might be able to help

Comment

Did your biological father support or maintain you in any way?

​​​​​​You do not say that he has died, but I assume from your question that he has. Do you know whether he left a Will?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I am in n.ireland and never meet him .was adopted in n.ireland by mother's new husband when 8yrs old .spoke today to lawyer representing the estate he only told me a bit .was a will it left to someone he wouldn't say but he had no wife or any other children so I couldn't understand why they where looking me and never really got an answer

Comment

He was from n.ireland but relocated to Scotland. Inverness .I only found out as a trace company was hired by lawyer to find me .he died 1st of Jan 2022. . Lawyer spoke to me as they where looking me but can't say to much he said .said there was a will but he wouldn't say who wouldn't say value of estate as not in public domain . But because I got adopted at 8 I now lose any right to his estate but if a will made why look for me .

Comment

He might have known that your father had a son, but not known that you had been adopted.

Comment

In Scotland there is a forced heirship system (legal rights) which operates regardless of what a will may say. Therefore solicitors will always explore the situation regarding the children of a deceased. But for succession, adopted children are treated as the child of the adopter.

That said, a person can leave by will an inheritance to anyone they wish.

Comment

That's clears it up a bit thankyou .was wondering why they looked for me at all .as all it did was stir up old feelings

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X