• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deed of Variation that not all Benefactors Will Sign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deed of Variation that not all Benefactors Will Sign

Hi,

I am asking on behalf of a friend.

My friend's mother passed away last year. My friend was one of 5 siblings and all her mum's estate was equally left to her and her brothers and sisters. My friend and her brother are joint executors of their mother's will. Probate has not yet been applied for.

For the last 10 years, one of the grandchildren lived with my friend's mum. He lived there to help his grandmother out as she had mobility problems and to keep her company. She kept him as though he was her child and he was dependent on his grandmother.

After the mum died, the executors thought that the grandchild may have a claim under the 'Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975'. So - as executors - they suggested a deed of variation be done leaving the grandchild a small legacy. This would obviously minimise costs for the estate was their reason for this thinking.

Three of the siblings agree to this but two of the siblings refuse to sign the deed of variation as they do not want the grandchild to have anything. They would rather risk a court battle - something the executors want to avoid due to the associated costs.

The estate is worth around £400,000 and the amount of legacy being discussed is 10% i.e. £40,000.

The executors are confused as to what they have to do next. They do not want a claim against the estate by the grandchild, but they cannot force the other two siblings to sign the deed of variation.

Any advice for my friend would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

If the executors apply for a grant of Probate they will swear an oath to get in the estate and distribute it in accordance with the will.

Has the grandchild threatened to bring an Inheritance Act claim?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The 'willing' beneficiaries can sign for their own interests - so they can make up the difference themselves - still cheaper - however difficult to swallow.

Negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        If the executors apply for a grant of Probate they will swear an oath to get in the estate and distribute it in accordance with the will.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
        Yes, the grandchild has taken legal advice and that is why the executors thought the most cost efficient way would be to offer a small legacy.

Comment

The costs of defending an inheritance claim should not be underestimated, but it may be worth finding a balance according to the thrats actually made and the history.

Comment

Taking legal advice and threatening legal action are not the same thing.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Taking legal advice and threatening legal action are not the same thing.

Yes, sorry, he has.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X