• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with will.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with will.

Hello.

My grandparents have both passed away. My uncle was the executor for the will. It states in the will, grandchild will have one or more shares per stirpes absolutely

My uncle is now selling their house. Does this mean we get nothing now, or because we were beneficiaries on the will per stirpes on their residual estate that we would have a share of the monies from the property?
    Tags: None

On the little information provided, the latter would seem more likely.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you.

my grandparents put him as beneficiary and then grandchildren beneficiaries per stripes ‘for one or more equal parts’ for the residual estate absolutely.’’
      I wasn’t sure if that had meant if he had predeceased that means it’s handed down to us ‘per stirpes’

or that as he is able to sell the house and keep everything as he is the first beneficiary on the will.

that saying- could be sell the house and us miss that opportunity of inheritance because he isn’t deceased and can keep the monies and pass it along in his own will etc?

or even though he hasn’t passed away. Because we are still beneficiaries on the will for the estate at some point that he has to split it regardless.

Thanks for your reply. It’s appreciated.

Comment

The phrase per stirpes just means 'throuth the roots', and controls how the children of a beneficiary who hasd predeceased share that share.
        I have not seen enough of the wording to be sure, but I think that it means that if your father survives the testator, he takes his share absolutely. If he had died before the testator then his children take the share which he would have taken.

It is his to do with as he wishes.

Comment

The OP should have someone who knows what they are doing look at the will and explain it.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X