• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right of Survivorship Bank Accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of Survivorship Bank Accounts

My 92 year old mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease in April of 2021 and soon became unable to manage her checkbook. My brother volunteered to help but several months later, I noticed his name listed on the account with hers as a joint account.
    When I asked her if it was a convenience account or right of survivorship she was unable to understand the concepts but said it was only to pay bills and that she did not intend for him to have that money.
    I found a link to a similar case that might be relevant: https://mwglaw.com/legal-challenge-t...ship-accounts/
    It sounds like when the account is set up is crucial to determining its purpose.
    Mom died several months ago. The estate inventory arrived today from the family lawyer and, my brother was listed as the owner of that account.
    I intend to contest this but don’t have a lot to go on. The will contains language about equal division of assets between the two of us and we are listed as co-executors, another expression of her desire for equal treatment of her two sons.
    My arguments in probate court would be “Why would she put language in the will about equal division of assets and then give my brother the contents of that account?” Secondly I question her ability to understand anything she was signing at the time.
    Need advice on how to pursue this.
    Tags: None

'Convenience account' - is this a US question? This is a UK law forum.

Comment

The link is to a US law firm.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X