• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate….. legacy refusal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate….. legacy refusal

I had carried out executor duties on my mother’s estate. I have 2 brothers, 1 is refusing to provide bank details to accept his legacy. I have made 2 previous attempts at payment by issuing cheques- he has not cashed them. This has gone on for 11+ years. He refused to participate in probate process and has resisted at every opportunity.
    I could claim benefits but am not able to because of my ‘savings’ which are obviously not mine to spend. What can I do with the money?
    Tags: None

you should have put the money in a specially designed executors account. You may still be able to do so.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Courses of action open to you are
      1) make a part 64 application to the court for directions or
      2) pay the money into court.

Was a grant of probate or letters of administration obtained?

Comment

Be careful about the cheques. It is a promise by you to pay the amount stated on request. Two cheques equals two promises.

Was probate taken out? If it is enough to take you out of benefits, it may be enough to pay the costs of gettijng it paid into court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X