• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with will

My aunt has written a will stating that the money from the sale of her property is to be left to family members. She has left smaller amount of monies to various friends and charities. Unfortunately it is likely that she will have to go into a care home as she has dementia and the property be sold, the part of her will leaving the money from her property will be gone. Meaning that the money if there is any left would now go to her friends and the charities. Does anyone know how we can ensure that my aunts wishes are met as she wanted, I know she wouldn’t have wanted her friends and charities to have the money from her property.
    Tags: None

If there is no possibility of preparing a new will, then is there any possibility of a deferred payment arrangement for the care home fees, so that they can be paid out of a sale of the property after your aunt dies? I understand this may be possible as a way of paying for local authority care.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I think it is too late for a new will. It’s difficult as obviously we don’t know how long she is going to live. Maybe all the money might be gone in fees anyway. I am not sure how long a deferred payment could go on for, I will look into it. Thank you. I did read about statutory wills where a will can be changed whilst she is still alive by the court of protection. I have contacted a few solicitors but they don’t seem to want to take it on maybe it’s too difficult and very long winded.

Comment

Your real problem is that the will is as such the expression of her wishes. 'I know that is what she said, but what she really wamnted was this' doesn't wash.
        A court will not grant a statutory will, because one already exists, and there is no real evidence that it does not reflect her wishes. You may in fact be correct, but it is unfortunately second guessing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X