• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Undervaluing an inherited property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atticus View Post
    Take care about deciding that you can sell the property because you are executor. The terms of the will can be very important, and one of an executor's tasks is, so far as possible, to implement the wishes of the testator.
    Thanks, I am not assuming to sell the property but, if we cannot advance towards an agreement to buy/sell out the other, what choice would I have other than to seek a court order to force a sale which would incur additional costs. In the case of such a stalemate, am I within my rights as executor and beneficiary to put the house on the market to see what is offered which would therefore provide a more ‘definitive’ valuation? She has said that, if the price offered was high enough, she would agree to sell and split the profits.

Comment

Sorry, I have been away.

That may be your only way forward, but your first step would be as executor to transfer the legal title to the property into the names of yourself and the other heir.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

HMRC will require the estate valued prior to a grant of probate.
        At this stage it only needsto be approximate to see if IHT is payable so use the mid valuation.
        If IHT is payable exact figure can be submitted.

Regarding your sister
        If she will not come to an agreement why not put the house on the open market?
        Is the will so worded that you as executor cannot sell it and distribute the funds?
        I agree . If she won’t agree then sell it .

Comment

Thanks to you all for the advice. Still trying to find an amicable way through this for now :-)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X