• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help/Advice .... Residence Nil Rate Band to Increase Inheritance Tax Allowance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Advice .... Residence Nil Rate Band to Increase Inheritance Tax Allowance

My precious sister sadly passed away, just before Xmas.
    She was single and has left a minor child, so any money left from her Estate, will be put in trust for him. I am the Executor of her Will. There are some personal/charitable bequests and her property, their family home, which she owned outright, is part of the Estate and is valued at £300K.
    I know that the Personal Inheritance Tax allowance is £325K, but I've read, that if a home has been left to a direct family member, ie a child, you can apply for an additional £175K of Inheritance Tax allowance, known as Residence Nil Rate Band. That will increase the IHT Allowance to £500K, so no inheritance tax will be due.
    However, I've contacted HMRC and they've sent me IHT400 plus other forms and I'm confused as one person at HMRC said if no inheritance tax due, then I don't need to fill in the IHT400 form....
    It's all very stressful, trying to get this done, so I can apply for Probate, to execute the Will, while grieving and trying to do the best, for my young nephews future.
    Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. If you can't help, maybe you could point me in the right direction.... Thank you so much
    Tags: None

With the details you have supplied the IHT400 form would not be needed if the death was after 1st January 2020, but before that the form was needed which is why they have sent it to you

If you have already submitted the death certificate and application, then try looking at the online form IHT400 as I understand that it is easier, but there should not be any IHT to pay..
    Last edited by Sam101; 2nd April 2022, 11:56:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X