• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What next? Do we need Probate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next? Do we need Probate?

My partner's father died last year. His wife pre-deceased him. We found a will which we have been advised by a solicitor is invalid because it left everything to his wife, but that was from before they were married and he is therefore intestate. My partner is his only living relative and therefore sole beneficiary.

He rented and did not own any land or property. He had some savings, furniture, a vehicle, etc all of which we've managed to sell and collect the monies for, so financially there's nothing left to do. The total value after the few small outstanding debts is around £70,000 so well below the IHT threshold (the debts only amounted to a few hundred pounds for outstanding water bills and council tax, nothing significant).

We've done an exempt estate notification with HMRC but heard nothing back (after over 6 months), we've also placed the notice in the Gazette and had no contacts after the required 2 months + 1 day.

So we *think* we have done all the necessary and *think* we don't need letters of administration. Are we missing something?

Compared to another estate I'm executor for this one seems far too easy.
    Last edited by DamoUK; 7th March 2022, 21:36:PM.
    Tags: None

You should have letters of administration and it seems a long time. Have you tried calling the Probate office to se what is holding matters up.

From what you have said you have done an excellent job so far and there should be no difficulties, but just to be on the safe side, chase up the Probate office.

Comment

IMO you don't need probate.
      In a cash only estate (ie no real property) probate is generally only required if there are substantial assets held by a finance house who won't release them without a grant
      The banks have their own limits which vary between £5,000 and £50,000

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        IMO you don't need probate.
        In a cash only estate (ie no real property) probate is generally only required if there are substantial assets held by a finance house who won't release them without a grant
        The banks have their own limits which vary between £5,000 and £50,000
        Thanks. This is what we assumed as everything was sorted, but didn't;t know if probate was required for any other legal reason than just releasing assets. We have closed all accounts, sold all of the possesions and no one has asked for probate. I presume there is no other legal paperwork required, and that the money is now my partners to do what she wants with, without needing to document anything?

Comment

I would say there is no more to do.
          My wife settled a £35,000 estate a few years back without a grant and there have been no problems

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X