• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intentions of a will made in 1982 - is property the same as estate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intentions of a will made in 1982 - is property the same as estate?

Hi

My aunt recently passed away and we now have her will. Her property (house) has been left to my dad (or me if he'd been deceased), a few personal bits elsewhere, but the last point in the will states that 'the residue of my property' goes to Guide Dogs for the Blind, PDSA and a Kent hospital. The original solicitors no longer exist and the firm that took them over are now in effect the executors. However, the residue is the issue. Back in 1982 and indeed throughout her life, my Aunt assumed she and often told us she had no money. As it transpires, she has £100K plus in her current account/savings/investments etc. Is it now the case that this is the 'residue of her property' and this is then to be divided up between the 3 named charities? It is likely her intention back in 1982 was that perhaps they'd each get perhaps a few hundred pounds based on what she assumed she had then. She was very frugal and as far as we know hasn't given anything significant to these charities in the interim years. So I guess the question is - is the declared residue of my property' - the sale from the contents of her house? Would residue of her 'estate' be the same thing? Had it been a few thousand pounds, obviously that wouldn't be up for discussion, but £100K+ is obviously a life changing amount. Any thoughts/details of similar experiences much appreciated! Thank you.
    Tags: None

I believe that you will find the charities will ask for the total 'residue' to be distributed between them. It does seem hard and I appreciate what you say, but there is no way the charities would allow the Will to be changed and with a solicitor as executor, they will want to act correctly in line with the wishes of the Will.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X