• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gifting money and Capital Gains Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifting money and Capital Gains Tax

Hi, My wife is considering gifting some money to a friend and I would like to find out if there would be Capital Gains Tax to be paid on the amount (£5,000) and if so, who would be responsible for payment i.e. my wife or the beneficiary? This would be a one-way transaction and not in payment for anything. Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Tags: None

No tax at all to worry about, although if your wife's assets are above the inheritance tax nil rate band allowance should she die in the next 7 years, then thee gift could be counted within her assets for tax calculation.

We all have a 'gifting allowance' and basically can gift up to £3000 to any one person in a tax year, £250 to as many people as you wish, additional gifts to family at weddings etc, If you 'Google' Gifting Allowances, you will find all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
      No tax at all to worry about, although if your wife's assets are above the inheritance tax nil rate band allowance should she die in the next 7 years, then thee gift could be counted within her assets for tax calculation.

We all have a 'gifting allowance' and basically can gift up to £3000 to any one person in a tax year, £250 to as many people as you wish, additional gifts to family at weddings etc, If you 'Google' Gifting Allowances, you will find all the details.
      Hi Sam101,
      Thanks for your response. I've seen the gifting allowances, but apart from wedding gifts (up to £5000) the largest allowance appears to be the £3000 gift that you mentioned. As my wife is thinking of gifting her friend more than this, possibly more than the £5000 I mentioned, wouldn't the balance over £3000 incur Capital Gains Tax? And if it does, would my wife have to pay the tax or would it be her friend? If there is a tax to pay I want her to be aware of it before she makes the gift so any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Not at all. Capital gains tax only comes about where an asset has been acquired and at a later date sold or disposed of and a gain has been made. It does not apply to any gift of capital a person makes to another. NO TAX.

As I said earlier, gifts over £3000 to an individual 'may' be brought into the calculation in respect of inheritance tax if that person died within 7 years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X