• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Releasing part of inheritance early

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Releasing part of inheritance early

I am the executor for my step-uncle who died intestate. His sister and sole beneficiary wrote a deed of variation to redistribute the inheritance to her daughter, me and our cousins, in equal shares. I have probate and am nearing the end of sorting out all of the estate with just some shares to sell and then inheritance tax to be slightly adjusted.

One of the beneficiaries has asked if they can have part of their inheritance early to help them out with a housing issue. Releasing the money to them will still leave plenty of money to resolve any final IHT bill for the adjustment.
    i have a couple of questions:

1. Am I allowed to do this? And 2. do I need to do anything special when releasing those funds if it is acceptable?
    3. does a deed of variation actually need registering anywhere? There’s nothing on the guidance that I can find.

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by DamoUK; 29th January 2022, 14:36:PM.
    Tags: None

The executor can make a partial distribution, but they are liable if there is a claim in excess of the residue to be distributed.

It would be prudent for the executor to obtain a written request for the sum, acknowledging that should there be a claim on the estate before it has been fully distributed, then the recipient may be called upon to repay part of the advancement .

This from a google search - A deed of variation doesn't need to be officially registered. The beneficiaries of the will, those affected by the changes, and any new inheritors all need to sign the document. After that, the executor of the will – the person managing the deceased's estate – must agree to the changes.

Comment

Sam101 Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Comment

Having received Probate, the Deed of Variation would have been given to the Probate office WITH THE WILL. I am confused when you initially said your Uncle died intestate. A Deed of Variation is to vary a Will. Can you please clarify as some mistakes may have happened

Comment

I am confused when you initially said your Uncle died intestate. A Deed of Variation is to vary a Will. [/QUOTE]

A deed of variation can also be used to redirect an inheritance entitlement under the laws of intestacy.

Comment

Sorry, you are correct. I replied too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
              Sorry, you are correct. I replied too quickly.
              Hi,

Sederunt is correct, the DoV was written to adjust the distribution and override the laws of intestacy. So to your previous reply and just to be certain, is there anything I need to do with the DoV, other than follow the distribution of the estate written in it?

Comment

As you have received Probate as the executor you can proceed in accordance with the Will and DoV.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X