• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please! Inheritance Tax and Main Residence Nil-Rate Bands / Trust query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! Inheritance Tax and Main Residence Nil-Rate Bands / Trust query

Hello, I'd be very grateful if anyone can assist me with this query.

My parents wrote mirror wills in the 1990s which basically said that on the death of the first spouse, everything would be left to the surviving spouse, with the proviso that the inheritance-tax-free portion of the deceased person's estate would be placed into a discretionary trust, to be distributed according to the wishes of the surviving spouse. This was apparently a common method at the time which allowed the surviving spouse to pass this amount on at a later date, free of inheritance tax, and it was necessary because this value could only be realised by selling the family home, something that the surviving spouse would not necessarily want to do immediately upon the death of their spouse.

Therefore, when my father died in 2002 this amount (£255k) was effectively placed into a discretionary trust, in the form of a charge against the family home they both lived in.

In the years since then, the law has changed to make this structure far less necessary, because in addition to the inheritance-tax-free amount that each spouse is entitled to (now £325k) there is in addition an extra nil-rate band which applies when a main residence is passed on to children / grandchildren, of £175,000 per person. This means that now, a married couple can pass on assets, including their home, of up to £1 million in total, free of tax.

Happily, my mother is still with us, but wants to understand how the situation from when my father died 20 years ago needs to be dealt with in light of today's legal requirements. Currently, I can see two possibilities but there are no doubt more.

Possibility 1: View all the trust issues and associated paperwork as notional, and work on the basis that she is entitled to pass on my father's £255k held in trust, plus the £175k that represents my father's main residence nil-rate band, plus her own amounts (currently £325k and £175k), free of tax. She still lives in the same house they both lived in.

or

Possibility 2: Did the creation of the £255k trust to safeguard my father's inheritance-tax-free amount somehow disrupt and therefore preclude my mother's ability to pass on my father's IHT nil-rate band, as well as his main residence nil-rate band?

I am not an expert by any means, which is why I am here and looking for help. I'm sure I'm not the first person ever to be in this situation and so I hope someone more experienced and knowledgable will be able to weigh in, with an informed view!

Thank you.
    Tags: None

In this case it was capital that was to be placed on Trust and not part of the home, assuming the home was owned as Tenants in common.

The surviving spouse requested that she retain the capital in substitution for the Trust sum and a charge on the property so that the Trust would be honored by repayment to the Nil Rate Band Trustees from her estate when she dies. However, were the beneficiaries to be your children, or who?

As long as the property was not a holding of the Discretionary Trust, then it has not affected the Residential allowance and the final allowances on the second death should be two inheritance tax nil rate bands and two residential allowances.

The only possibly problem may be if the Trustees had the authority to substitute the nil rate band sum to be paid to the Trust in favor of an IOU from the spouse, payable from her estate when she died.

I made a similar arrangement back in 1996, but have recently added a codicil to our Wills ensuring that the nil rate band Trustees have full authority to take the action that has happened in your case. A Trust solicitor could clarify that the wording of your own Wills has given sufficient authority for Trustees to take such action.

Comment

Thank you SAM101 for this extremely helpful reply and I apologise for not replying sooner, I only found your response today.

Comment

Most welcome. Remember - The only possibly problem may be if the Trustees had the authority to substitute the nil rate band sum to be paid to the Trust in favor of an IOU from the spouse, payable from her estate when she died.

This may be queried, so best to have a word with your solicitors just to make sure that the wording was correct.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X