• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will help

Hi Just wondering if anyone could advise any information
    Grandfather died 14 days ago,he left a will and my mother is the beneficiary,he left his house to his 5 grandchildren in the will, which is fine as it will be kept like that for many years as no intention to sell the house.
    however
    He has pensions,life insurance and all together with money in the bank around 50k

In the will he has left house to grandkids,and all 50 k to his daughter,he said she can do what she like with the cash ,mainly will go towards grandkids ,wedding, university's etc

The question I have is ,the brother who rarely spoke to his dad has not been left anything.He is not in the will and the grandfather who died told him nothing will he left only to grand kids and the one daughter .
    He is fine with this as he wasn't close to his father,however can he object or suddenly ask for money,even though his name is the on will and I think it says Dave **** is not entitled to any money on the will.

I'm hoping goes smoothly however need to be aware extended family not blood related at all and never saw the grandfather might try to persuade his son for money,he died a slow death we are all distraught as we have been with him his life ,his son saw him about 2 times in 5 years,so this is the last thing ,however it's important that his wishes are respected so I'm just wondering if there should be no problem,never been on this situation before so unsure
    Thanks,
    L Taylor
    Tags: None

Condolences on your recent loss.

The short answer is "yes, the brother could possibly launch a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 if he was so minded"

Any claim has to be started within 6 months of the grant of probate, so it is advisable that the executor(s) do not distribute the estate prior to the expiry of the 6 month period, and that they post a notice in the London Gazette after obtaining the grant

Comment

I fully agree with the answer you have received, which is sound advice.

However, if a statement saying that Dave ***** is not entitled to any money, I believe it would be most unlikely that any claim made by Dave **** would be upheld. The brother may incur considerable costs if he were to try and contest it, but nothing is certain.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X