• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can estranged UK family be forced to pay for the funeral of an ex-pat in France?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can estranged UK family be forced to pay for the funeral of an ex-pat in France?

I have indirectly discovered (long story) that an abusive, estranged parent (ex-pat in France since 2013). I have had no contact with in excess of ten years may pass away soon. Two of us aren't entirely no contact, and one sibling has sporadically shared texts.

They had gambling and drinking issues the last I knew, so its possible they haven't got anything that they authorities could use to pay. It could also be possible they don't have insurance. Medical or life (I'm just preparing for worst case scenarios).
    Their spouse died last year. There isn't any way to find out if they joint owned this property outright either.
    I've read that in France, the family are entirely liable for the costs of funeral arrangements, and very worried about what will happen when they die - will we be told? Will be be sent a bill?

They haven't been in contact at all, so its impossible to know if they are being helped by professionals (have a cancer diagnosis, so must have seen. doctor and therefore may have medical insurance). If they are unwell and need help in their house, does France operate any kind of social care system?

I'm really grateful for any information on this issue.
    Tags: None

Hi MOGWAI8

I can't answer directly, but here's some information.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/fra...re/death-dying

https://www.welcometofrance.com/en/f...ecurity-system

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X