• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance Tax

Advice please on what we will need to do

my auntie who is 85 is leaving me and my brother 14 properties what she rents out when she dies these are worth around 1,300000 the is no
    mortgages on these properties they are all owned outright.

she has her home what’s worth 300k and savings of 600k also to us . So total estate is worth 2,200000.

will the business/properties get taxed at 40% , and will her home need to be sold .

Thanks
    Chris .
    Tags: None

Assuming the properties are owned by your aunt and not through a limited company, on her death they will be part of her estate and IHT will apply.
    If she sells them before her death, CGT will be payable, and then the sale money will be part of her assets and attract IHT.
    If she was to give them (or any sale money) away that would attract IHT on a sliding scale for a period of 7years

Although business property relief does exempt a business from inheritance tax she cannot just set up and transfer the properties to it without incurring CGT.
    But also a business dealing solely with properties cannot claim business property relief, so IHT would be payable.

Sorry, but no easy legal way not to pay the tax
    But at least the single person’s threshold of £325,000 should apply

Comment

Hi , yes the properties are owned by my aunt she’s had the since the 1970’s and not registered as a limited company.

What are we looking at regards the inheritance bill I worked out online it could be 700k but not sure if I’m filling it in correctly.

1,3 million property business
      550k in bank
      the house she lives in 300k - 350k
      she’s leaving 100 k to charity .

roughly total estate 2.2 million

tax bill 880k

so we may need to sell properties to pay the tax bill

what does the 325k threshold mean ?

Regards Chris .

Comment

First £325,000 of the estate is free of IHT, more possibly if she was married
        https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

Comment

As she is leaving her house to me and mother does that not out the threshold up to 500 K ?

thanks for your advice .

Comment

Not unless you or your mother are one of your aunt's children!

With an estate of the size and complexities of your aunt it might ber worth taking professional advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X