• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help understanding my entitlement as beneficiary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding my entitlement as beneficiary

Hello!

My grandfather sadly passed away 1 year ago. Probate has recently been granted and I, as one of his grandchildren, am to become a beneficiary of his will but I'm having trouble understanding my entitlement.

The portion of the will pertaining to grandchildren is as follows:

I give subject to their bearing any inheritance tax attributable to its value all my
    estate and interest (if any) in the property being and situate at *PROPERTY NAME* to my Trustees upon trust to sell the same with the power to
    postpone sale and to invest the proceeds thereof and to apply the income or
    proceeds therefrom as follows:

(i) As to 50% thereof for my daughter *NAME* absolutely

(ii) And as to 50% thereof for such of my grandchildren as shall be living at
    the date of my death and if more than one in equal shares on each
    attaining the age of 21.

There are currently 5 grandchildren that I'm aware of, myself and my elder sibling are the only ones currently of age.

Does mean that I should be receiving 10% of the income/proceeds from this property?
    Probate was granted last month but my grandfather passed away in April of last year, does this mean I should be entitled to 'back payment'?

The will goes on to state:

PROVIDED ALWAYS:

(a) should any of the above named beneficiaries not have attained the age of 21
    years at the date of my death then my Trustees shall hold the same upon
    trust for such child or children until they shall have attained the age of 21

And finally:

My Trustees shall have power to apply for the benefit of any beneficiary
    who is under twenty-one the whole or any part of the income from any
    capital to which he is or may become entitled or for a period not
    exceeding twenty-one years after my death to accumulate income and
    shall have power to pay or apply for the benefit of any such beneficiary
    the whole or any part of the capital to which he is or may become
    entitled;

My youngest sibling has not reached the age of twenty one so I understand that his benefit will be managed by the trustees until then. However the final clause says the trustees have 'power to pay or apply for the benefit' of the beneficiaries who have not come of age, I'm unsure of the meaning behind this and I would be grateful for any clarification anyone can provide.

Thanking you all greatly for taking the time to read this, any responses are most appreciated!
    Tags: None

I'm no expert but from reading that i would say the following:
    - As 5 grand children at the point of dearh then you would be entitled to 10% - (50%/5)
    - No back pay as its just at the point of distribution of the estate - remember it will be property minus all costs
    - The last bit (I'm no expert) looks like it will give the trustee the power to distribute if its applied for

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X