• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this normal for a "Funeral Director"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal for a "Funeral Director"

Funeral Director.

I wondered if you could help me or point me in the right direction, please.

I have concerns, with a funeral director I believe has acted dishonestly. I have contacted him and he states he will not discuss such matters due to data protection.

My Aunt, my late fathers youngest sibling asked me to meet at her house to sign legal documents, requested by the funeral director and after signing the documents I would have to telephone him to confirm I had done so.

This document was addressed to "The Medical Referee" stating I give my Aunt the right to sort out my late father's funeral arrangements on my behalf. I signed the document also 2 copies, (this document had many spelling mistakes, my aunt said the funeral director will amend them later) I was not allowed to keep a copy. My Aunt then telephoned the funeral directors and this call was on loudspeaker, my Aunt spoke with the secretary, then was put through to the funeral director. (He was at a very noisy football match.)

(I would like to add, my Aunt, has known the secretary and the funeral director since school years, 50+ years).

I confirmed with the funeral director I had signed all 3 documents for him, he said thank you and my Aunt said to him she would bring them around later, he thanked her and the call ended.

(The funeral director only requested my and my full brothers signature, and not of our half=sister)

I have since found out that my Aunt had typed these documents up herself for me to sign and they were not requested by the funeral director, even though I had the call to confirm with him. I strongly believe my Aunt and the funeral director, have made me believe I have to sign these so-called legal documents for the funeral to go ahead. I am sure these documents had been shown to the bank to prove she had rights to sort the funeral, knowing they would honor my father's funeral, allowing my Aunt to keep 7k that my father put aside for his funeral. I am a named Administrator on Letters of Administration regarding my late father's estate.

There is much more to this, but I was wondering if this is the normal practice or not for a funeral director?

I am now in the process of contacting my late father's bank, I do know my father put money aside for his funeral. Now, I am told the bank honored my father's funeral and the wake, without my knowledge. I am concerned as it seems my Aunt may have shown the bank "the requested signed document" proving she had right to the act of my late father's funeral on my behalf. My aunt told me this document was so my father could be cremated.

Any paperwork regarding who paid for my late father's funeral is missing.

My solicitor is aware of this, at the start she said she would have to look into it, but continues to ignore any questions I ask.
    I have been told my aunt has acted fraudulently to gain money with the help of the funeral director. is this right?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hi EMZ1974

Sorry for you loss.

If you suspect fraud, then clearly it is a matter for the police. It all sounds very suspicious.

You (as Administrator) could send the bank a SAR to provide details / documents relating to the funeral / money put aside, they have 30 days to provide you with the requested information. You could also send the Funeral Director a SAR to provide all details / documentation relating to the funeral. No doubt the missing documents will be found.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Here is the Funeral Directors Code of Practice -

https://nafd.org.uk/code-of-practice/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi EMZ1974

Sorry for you loss.

If you suspect fraud, then clearly it is a matter for the police. It all sounds very suspicious.

You (as Administrator) could send the bank a SAR to provide details / documents relating to the funeral / money put aside, they have 30 days to provide you with the requested information. You could also send the Funeral Director a SAR to provide all details / documentation relating to the funeral. No doubt the missing documents will be found.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Here is the Funeral Directors Code of Practice -

https://nafd.org.uk/code-of-practice/
      Money and the closet door opens

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X