• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interpretation of wording in a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation of wording in a will

Probate has been granted on my late cousins will and she has left me, as in the will, 'I give my cousin------ absolutely All my rings and any of the Doulton figure she may choose out of my collection of Doulton figurines'. She has about 89 Doulton figures.
    Q. Would my understanding be right that if I choose I could take one, 89 or any number in between?
    Tags: None

A nice gift from your cousin, but that wording is IMO open to interpretation

Did she mean " any one of the Doulton figures she may chose...."
    or " any of the Doulton figure
    s she may chose..."

As she goes on to say " out of my collection..." it would indicate you were not expected to chose the whole collection!
    Are the figurines mentioned elsewhere in the will?
    Have you discussed the matter with the exe4cutor(s)?
    Do you want them all?

Comment

Thanks for that. The figures are not mentioned anywhere else in the will. Fallen out with the executor but I have power reserved as the second executor.

Comment

You don't say what sort of value is on these figurines.
        If they are at the lower end of the scale the other executor might be pleased if you take the lot as it will save her the cost and bother of trying to sell them.

Comment

These figurines are, I would say, £10-20 ish. Although when bought they would have been about £100. I feel the other executor is just being spiteful about this and as he will not communicate with me at all I’m having problems getting anywhere.

Comment

You could try telling him that if he persists in being awkward you will reverse your power reserved status band become an active executor, with whom he will have to cooperate
            On the other hand it might not be worth the hassle and risk

Comment

"and any of the Doulton figure she may choose out of my collection of Doulton figurines"

Indicate not all but suggest some that you may like - 5 or 6 seams reasonable.

Comment

.....or just north of 80

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X