• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nationwide - found account 17 years after death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationwide - found account 17 years after death

Hello.

My granddad passed away 17-years ago, and his assets went through probate and everything was settled.

Last week, my oldest sister was contacted by Nationwide requesting as the next of kin (as my dad passed away 4 years ago) to close an account in his name with the bank. But she needed my granddads DOB etc.. so she contacted my mum for his DOB, my mum is getting her the details of my granddad over the weekend. My sister also went into the local branch, who confirmed it was legit.

What happens now, there must be money in this old account for Nationwide to contact her? Also, my oldest sister who Nationwide contacted was left out of the will (she had a difficult relationship with our granddad).
    Tags: None

Any assets discovered after the estate has been settled need to be distributed according to his will.
    The person responsible is the executor of his will.
    If that executor has passed away, the executor of his will is responsible as per "the chain of representation".
    The new executor may need to also apply for a new Grant of Probate to show the link to the first executor the original estate.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Any assets discovered after the estate has been settled need to be distributed according to his will.
      The person responsible is the executor of his will.
      If that executor has passed away, the executor of his will is responsible as per "the chain of representation".
      The new executor may need to also apply for a new Grant of Probate to show the link to the first executor the original estate.
      Thank you for your reply.

Will Nationwide force this? or will they just give any money to my Sister?

Comment

They should only give it to the executor!
        If they give it to someone else, they will need to recover it.
        I assume that if they give it away without seeing the will and identifying the executor they will require the recipient to sign a letter of indemnity.

Why don't you inform Nationwide yourself that there is a will and an executor and they should not be handing out the money willy nilly to whoever they think is next of kin (which incidentally has no legal meaning nor standing!)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          They should only give it to the executor!
          If they give it to someone else, they will need to recover it.
          I assume that if they give it away without seeing the will and identifying the executor they will require the recipient to sign a letter of indemnity.

Why don't you inform Nationwide yourself that there is a will and an executor and they should not be handing out the money willy nilly to whoever they think is next of kin (which incidentally has no legal meaning nor standing!)
          Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X