• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will found too late?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will found too late?

My Uncle died last month. He didn't own property and was retired due to ill health and was on benefits. We couldn't find a will amongst his papers. He wasn't married and had no children so his sister (my mother) is his next of kin. The money from his bank account has been paid to her as has any utility bill credits. She has been paying any debts arising such as over payment of housing benefit and we are currently awaiting notification of his credit card debt as paperwork shows he had 2 credit cards. She has paid for his funeral but we have found a life insurance policy which she has claimed and if a payout is successful this will cover the funeral expense.
    However this afternoon I have been going through the last of his paperwork to shred rubbish and have actually found a will dated 2012. He leaves his estate to my mother so his wishes have been followed in that respect. My question is do we need to now contact the solicitor who drew up the will? We have sorted everything already as we didn't know a will exists. We haven't applied for probate or a grant of representation as the value of the estate is minimal.
    What would have happened if I hadn't found the will, which I wish I hadn't now.
    Tags: None

You have the will, it stated what you had done, nothing else to do

Comment

Yes I guess so, I just wondered if it really mattered if we had done it rather than the solicitor who was listed as the executor. And does the will now need to go through probate?

Comment

If the will exists then even more reason not to go through probate with the small value, though I'm unsure about the situation where a solicitor has been named as executor. If there is insufficient to meet his fees then he may be happy that you have handled this.

The credit card companies are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to repayment. Keep good accounts so that if there is insufficient to fully repay they may come back with a request to prove it. Might be worth telling them that their client has died

Comment

Ok, then you think we should contact the solicitor then rather than just leave it. Yes we have contacted both credit card companies and are waiting for them to get back to us.

Comment

It's just to cover yourself. Tell the solicitor that their client has died and as they are executor in the will that was found after the estate has been handled would they still like to act? Be prepared for a shock with the charges!

Comment

Ok thanks for all your help.

Comment

Is the solicitor named as an executor - just because they drew up the will doesn't mean to say that they are

Comment

Yes it states that the partners in the firm are appointed as the executors and trustees and that he gives the whole of his estate to his sister. It's a shame he didn't name his sister as the executor and I wouldn't be worried about it then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X