• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Widower with new partner needing to revise Will - advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widower with new partner needing to revise Will - advice please!

I'm in the position of needing to substantially revise my Will, and I really appreciate being able to use this forum (hopefully!) as a sounding board for how to proceed. Obviously in due course I will be talking to a solicitor who will advise me, but I would like to be able to clarify a few things in my mind first.

Here's my scenario.

6 years ago I was a 58-year-old married man with four adult children; my wife and I had simple mirror wills leaving everything to each other. Sadly my wife died, and I ended up inheriting a substantial amount, notably from her pension lump sum and life insurance payments, plus I receive a generous widow's pension. Fast forward to today, and I have a new partner who has been living with me and one of my children in my former marital home (owned by me, mortgage-free) for the past two years. She has sold her own house and although we aren't married both of us consider this to be a lifetime relationship. She gets on very well with my kids, and I with hers.

However my current Will still leaves my entire estate to my kids following the death of my wife, and I really need to rectify this situation. For example, if/when I die, I realise my partner would have the status of no more than my daughter's lodger and could be evicted at will. However, I don't want to go full circle and leave the bulk of my estate to my partner, which would mean that ultimately much of it would logically end up in the hands of my partner's kids rather than mine after she dies, which I don't want. My partner works full-time in a reasonably well-paid job but to be blunt I have quite a lot more money than she does and I wouldn't want her standard of living to fall after my death.

So broadly, I was thinking in terms of having my Will set up a Trust which would own my home and investments. My partner would be allowed lifetime residence in the house, and would receive income from the Trust. There would also be enough money, I think, to give her and my kids a reasonable lump sum each outright. If my partner wanted to move or downsize later, then the Trust would be empowered sell the current house and buy a replacement. When she dies, the Trust would be dissolved and the proceeds would pass to my kids.

Does the above scheme sound about right? If so, I'm not sure who the Trustees should be - obviously one or more of my kids (how many?). Who else - was considering my sister too as someone slightly removed from the situation. Should my partner be a Trustee too?

I realise I need to consider and cover all sorts of potential scenarios in my new Will, too. I could die tomorrow, and she might last 40 years or more, so there's a lot of potential change to think about! Eg, imagine a huge row between my partner and my kids about something so they hate each other for decades. What about my daughter still currently living at home and showing no signs of leaving. What if my partner finds a new bloke in the fullness of time and wants to live with him? Marry him? etc etc - I'm sure there are many more I haven't thought of yet.

Anyway - just putting this out there and would be very grateful for any feedback or discussion.
    Tags: None

Sounds ok but have you discussed this with your partner? Have they put time, money or effort into your home and what has happened to the proceeds of their previous home. Without knowing that it strikes me that essentially your kids get all the benefits while your partner’s may lose out.

Comment

How about mirrorcwills again?

As your new partner has sold her own property why not change yours to joint tenants? £ 80 if you do it yourself. Could be less, depends on the value of the house.

Then mirror wills leaving everything to each other and if predeceased then to the children in equal shares?

Just done this, though we did get married

Comment

just a word of warning about trustees... consider appointing an independent third party professional eg a solicitor.
        Yep, they charge but don't (generally) subvert it

I have seen a family implode over mother's £500,000 trust fund when run by a "loving" son!

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
          Sounds ok but have you discussed this with your partner? Have they put time, money or effort into your home and what has happened to the proceeds of their previous home. Without knowing that it strikes me that essentially your kids get all the benefits while your partner's may lose out.
          I deliberately haven't talked to her at all about this yet, no. Obviously I want to be aware of what the possible options are so we can discuss them; hence my post. I certainly won't be acting upon anything without both her and my kids being on board, as my whole aim is to smooth the path after my death and avoid a potential shitshow, rather than create one!

In terms of my partner's previous home, she has kept the net proceeds of the sale in her own name, is now mortgage-free, and her residual income is now considerably higher than it was when she was living on her own; that's all fine by me. If I die, that would continue to be the case after my death, including after she retires. The one thing I'm aiming to restrict here is her ability ultimately to bequeath the remainder of my estate to her own kids rather than mine.

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          How about mirror wills again?
          Well no, that doesn't work at all - first, I have no interest in inheriting from her if she dies first; I have no problem with her estate going to her children; and secondly, if I die first I want to protect the interests of my own childen so that after my partner and iare both dead, the bulk of my estate ends up in the hands of my kids and not hers.

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          just a word of warning about trustees... consider appointing an independent third party professional eg a solicitor.
          Yep, they charge but don't (generally) subvert it
          Thanks - yes that's definitely something worth considering.

Comment

I fully understand what you are trying to do. Far too often estates cause family problems and people are scared to talk about death. It is only right you want your estate to end up with your kids. Let’s hope your partner is willing to talk about it - mine will no even talk about death, ours or our parents.

Comment

To add, I think a trust fund is the way forward but get legal/financial advice first

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X