• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

claiming a pecuniary legacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• claiming a pecuniary legacy

Hi all,
    I've had a look around the forum for this particularly issue but can't seem to find any thing so here goes. My sister and me have been left a pecuniary legacy by my great-grandfather who died 15 years ago (I was 5) which I'd like to claim. The executor of the will is my estranged grandad who I've had no contact with for as long as I can remember. However I now have his address, could it be as simple as sending a letter recorded delivery requesting he send a cheque?
    My sister would prefer for him not to have her address, could I ask for hers to be sent to me?
    Have any time limits I should be aware of expired before I contact him?
    and any tips on wording the letter.
    than you in advance for any help with this,
    R
    Tags: None

It could be that although the money is there it is being held in trust until you reach a specific age. For my granddaughter I specified in trust until she reached 25.

Get a copy of the will before you start chasing just to make sure

Comment

You can get a copy of the will here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills for a £1.50 fee

Comment

thanks for the reply, we have a copy of the will and it doesn't state any age requirements which makes me think that it should be passed on when I reach 18?

Comment

Only ten more years to wait then? It wouldn’t hurt to ask the question.

Comment

sorry I wasn't clear, that should have said 'reached' 18, which passed 3 years ago

Comment

If that is the case then get writing

Comment

any tips on wording, do I have to give a minimum time to respond? 14/30 days? can I ask for the my sisters cheque to be sent to my address at the same time?
                thanks for the help

Comment

I would write a general friendly letter at first asking about distributing the estate. If you get nowhere then start the heavy handed letters.

Do you have any idea of the sums involved?

Comment

yeah it isn't much in the grand scheme of things, £2000 each. does the amount affect anything?

Comment

No, wasn't interested in the amount and it doesn't matter how small or large it was.

If you go in hard, even though you feel like doing that, he might just refuse to talk to you and force you down the legal route and that can get expensive. You never know even though you were left a specific sum there might not have been anything left to give you anything. It happens.

So I would suggest a softly, softly approach first and see what the response is. You never know. Just a general friendly letter and politely ask about the legacy.

Try and find the value of the estate if you find you have to go in hard later

I believe it would be reasonable to expect interest on the sum

Comment

thanks so much, I think I'll do just that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X