• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Estate accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate accounts

Hi, the executor of my late mother's will has included a fictitious loan in the accounts to reduce the value of the estate. The executor is 1 of 3 daughters who are all equal beneficiaries. How do we go about sorting this out, is it illegal, if it is, is it a civil offence or a criminal offence. I have asked to see the loan agreement , there is no loan so it can not be produced.
    Regards.
    Tags: None

In my opinion it sounds like fraud if the executor cannot provide any documents or proof of the loan.
    I would say in the first instance it is a criminal offence and I would report her to the police and go from there. Obviously keep a record of absolutely every step you are taking as you go through the process.

Comment

Has probate been granted yet?

Comment

Are all three daughters joint executors?

Is this fictitious loan a ploy to reduce/avoid IHT or an attempt to defraud the beneficiaries?
        Why are you certain it is a fictitious loan?

What is your interest in the estate? Do you have any right to see estate accounts? Basically (with a few exceptions) only residuary beneficiaries have a right to see the accounts, so if you do not fall within this group the executor doesn't have to respond to you.

Comment

Hi, thank you all for your replies. probate has been granted, I am a residuary beneficiary. I am pretty sure my mother had no debts whatsoever. It is an attempt to defraud me I think. If the 30000 is kept it will probably be shared by my 2 sisters, 1 being the executor and the other is also a residual beneficiary. There is a lot of jealousy towards me as my adult children and their children ( the only ones between us 3 daughters) have been treated in the past by my late mother.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X