• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Estate Accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Accounts

Hello, I am executor of a parents will and understand I have to do some sort of accounts when probate is granted. Do the accounts date from the date of death or do I have to go back further? The reason I am asking is that although the Will says the house is to be sold and the proceeds split between the adult children, my parent went into a care home so we had to sell the house to pay the care home fees. Over several years, this amounted to a huge chunk of money (all of which I have invoices for) but I suspect that one beneficiary will question this and try to cause trouble and delay. Thanks

Tags: None

Valuation provided for IHT prior to requesting a grant of probate is based on the estate assets at the time of passing (plus details of gifts over a certain amount in the 7 years prior)

If possessions mentioned in the will are no longer owned by the deceased at time of passing, some might raise queries, but that is not the responsibility of the executor. Responsibility for matters prior to passing fall to those who possibly had POA or were caring for the person or even the deceased self..

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Valuation provided for IHT prior to requesting a grant of probate is based on the estate assets at the time of passing (plus details of gifts over a certain amount in the 7 years prior)

If possessions mentioned in the will are no longer owned by the deceased at time of passing, some might raise queries, but that is not the responsibility of the executor. Responsibility for matters prior to passing fall to those who possibly had POA or were caring for the person or even the deceased self..
      Thanks for replying. Estate is not large enough for Inheritance Tax.

Comment

Before you apply for probate you have to report the estate value to HMRC and they will advise if tax is payable
        It can all be done online Applying for probate: Apply for probate - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Before you apply for probate you have to report the estate value to HMRC and they will advise if tax is payable
          It can all be done online Applying for probate: Apply for probate - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
          Thanks Des. yes I’ve done all that and forms are all with Probate office now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X