• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wills question about age of adult children receiving estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills question about age of adult children receiving estate

Hi,

Hoping for some general advice. I'm in the process of updating mirror wills for myself and my wife and I've got a bit tangled up over one area.
    We want to leave our estate to our two children. They will be over 18 soon (both in next 2 years), but we think we don't want them to have 'all the estate' fully until they are - say 25 - and past the worst of the 'party years' (If I'd had all my Parents' estate at age 20 I would have spent it all on beer :-)) Anyway, the current will and the new one in creation both talk about the estate going fully to your children at age 18 and being with the trustees before that. Is there any way to specify that the estate will remain managed by the trustees to provide for the children even after 18, but not be fully handed over until 25?

(yet retain a get-out-of-jail option that says if they genuinely and suddenly need all the money for a legal or health emergency the trustees can hand it over earlier)

All advice always gratefully received,

Thanks,
    Ian
    Tags: None

Glad to see you were sensible at an early age and wouldn't have wasted your inheritance!

There should be no problem leaving their legacies in trust until age 25 or whatever
    18 -25 trusts are treated the same as Bereaved Minor Trusts by the tax man

Are you appointing professional trustees?

"

Comment

I put into mine (for a grandchild) in trust till 25 except for education or housing purposes, at the discretion of the trustees.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Glad to see you were sensible at an early age and wouldn't have wasted your inheritance!

There should be no problem leaving their legacies in trust until age 25 or whatever
        18 -25 trusts are treated the same as Bereaved Minor Trusts by the tax man

Are you appointing professional trustees?

"
        Thanks for the answer, that's just what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          I put into mine (for a grandchild) in trust till 25 except for education or housing purposes, at the discretion of the trustees.
          Yup, that's what I needed to know. Good to know it's possible. thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X