• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

a will made via email with no witnesses during covid 19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a will made via email with no witnesses during covid 19

Hello. I'm seeking for an advice on behalf of a friend. He is self isolating due to high pandemic numbers because he cannot afford to catch the virus- leaving a house or seeing other people is a big 'no no' for he has health issues including 'almost no immunity left', as recently told by his GP.

He does not have big estate like some people do but he is very concerned that a few thousand pounds he's got is going to be taken by a government in case he catches the virus and dies for he has no will.

He told me the other day that upon advice of some friend person he was going to compose an email, his Will, and send it to his two beneficiaries. He was told that was sufficient, as a way of specifying what to do with his belonging and money (basically, a Will). Because of the Covid 19 times and extreme circumstances, there are some kind of new 'rules' that would allow it- that this email he wants to write in a form of a Will, would be sufficient.

I must add- he has maybe two or three friends, no family and bad health. And now he is worried through the roof about government getting to keep his few thousands of pounds.
    I searched online and was unable to find any info confirming/ denying what he told me.
    I also found some information on New video witnessing and Will signing procedure. I have concerns he might not be able to, even if he got in touch with a solicitor, organise it as his skills in using internet and any social media are extremely limited (and all he owns is a phone).

Please, could someone help on how he needs to proceed?

Thank you very much.
    Alex

Peridot
    Tags: None

Hi Weedon,
    Well I’m not sure who gave your friend this advice or whether he has relayed the information incorrectly but an email to beneficiaries confirming what he wishes to happen to his estate will most definitely not be a valid Will.
    There are strict rules on signing and witnessing a Will to ensure it is executed correctly and therefore legally binding.
    It is of course possible to write your wishes on a scrap of paper as long as it is signed dated and witnessed by 2 witnesses unrelated to anyone in the Will but I would strongly recommend your friend contacts a lawyer to ensure he has covered all bases. It may also be worth having a look at the Age UK web site if you are able to. There are also schemes by some charities that will pay for a lawyer to prepare a basic Will for no fee or a reduced fee from the client.
    Currently many lawyers are taking Will instructions over the phone and then meeting the client to sign the Will once prepared. They do understand that many people do not have the tech or the knowledge to deal with zoom appointments.
    There are ways around it in the current situation but emailing beneficiaries is not one of them.
    If your friend died without a Will then the Intestacy rules would be followed. You can find more information on the gov.uk website about what happens and the order of legacies in the absence of a Will. It is a long list before the crown gets the estate.
    hopefully you can help find some info for your friend and put his mind at rest.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X