• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wills and Current WIshes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills and Current WIshes

Hello all,

My mother passed away on 4th January, I have been appointed 1 of 2 Executors (the other is her friend of many years). She had a Will in place dated 2010 that was fully signed etc, which included beneficiaries alive at that time (2 children, 5 grandchildren). Since then, the family has grown and now consists of 2 children, 5 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren.

She was in the process of changing her will to include 4 of the great-grandchildren, but there was still no mentioned of the 5th great-grandchild. Her new draft Will arrived the day after her death, and has not been signed so I believe it is not a legal document but would give an indication of her latest wishes. Financially there is considerable difference in the 2 documents, and as one of the primary benefactors I want to avoid any suggestion of a conflict of interest, and potentially any contests.

The original will provided a set sum to be paid to the grandchildren, and all other monies to be split between myself and my sister. There were a number of gifts of jewellery to the women.

The new document provides for my sister and I to have 50% share of the sale of the house. All other monies are to be shared equally between the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Again, the jewellery has been gifted to the women (including children)

I am in a quandary over how to handle the will and new document, in regard to how much credence should I apply with the new proposal. If I stick to the original will, then I think the grandchildren (all bar 2 are directly related to my sister) could contest it as the difference may be around £18k per beneficiary. If I go by the unsigned document, then my sister could contest it as she (and myself) would receive approx £100k less.

Any advice?
    Tags: None

If all affected beneficiaries are in agreement you could vary the will so that it reflects your mother's known wishes.

Assuming there is a reasonable inter family relationship try for a family conference (via zoom or whatever!) to discuss the matter amicably.
    Cheaper and better than a squabble!

Comment

Would the unsigned will have any legal bearing? A colleague suggested that as it was so close to signature, then it may carry some legal weight.

My family could be described as many things, but "reasonable" wouldn't rank in the top 10.

Comment

An unexecuted will does not comply with legal requirements and cannot be admitted to probate.
        Court is very reluctant to order it takes effect, though they will consider it if there is a claim under
        the Inheritance (provision for family and dependants) Act 1975

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X