• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will & Estranged Sister

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will & Estranged Sister

I basically need some basic understanding of my situation, as I have put off thinking about for a very long time.

My mother and father made their wills a few years ago, my father disowned my sister as did I many years ago, my mother did not. My father left his estate to me and my mother left (what she told me) was half to me and half to my sister. My mother died 5 years ago and now my father is at the end stages of parkinsons, so may pass soon.

Judging by the very little information I have provided, what happens when my father dies? Do I get 75% of the family home and she gets 25%? Is she entitled to force me to sell to get her share, is she allowed entry to the property as part owner? I have lived at the property since 1975, she moved out in the late 80's. Will my father putting my name on the house give me any legal strength, in case of a dog fight?

I am very confused and would love some basic input to start getting my head around this and what could end up being a very stressful situation.
    Tags: None

Firstly ascertain how your mother and father owned the house... was it as joint tenants or tenants in common?
    If the former, on your mother's death the property would be held solely by your father.

Did your mother leave a will?

Impossible to say whether or not your sister has a valid claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants)act 1975.
    But if she makes such a claim it may be more advantageous to negotiate a settlement than fight her through the courts due to the high cost of contentious litigation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X